3 - Adrien / Chat Noir

Sitting across from Marinette, Adrien felt more alone than ever. She'd been her usual nice and positive self the entire time, but he could see how exhausted she really was. Dark bags sat under her drooping eyes, and she seemed to be anywhere but here. 

Before, when he'd asked her if she had any problems she'd wanted to share, he'd seen it all across her face – fear, worry, exhaustion. The same faces he saw in the mirror after every battle, and every fitful night of sleep. He wondered what it was that had got her so tired, he really wished he could do something to help. 

Adrien had to admit that it had kind of hurt that she hadn't trusted him with any of her own issues, but he couldn't get upset. He'd always sort of felt that Marinette hadn't really liked him – she'd always avoided talking to him, and had seemed to want their conversations to end so quickly. He'd always tried to remind himself that not everyone had to like him all the time...but it still hurt. Especially because everyone liked Marinette, and she seemed to like everyone too. Well except for Chloe and Lila, though he could understand that, they had been awful to her. But he'd always defended her, and helped however he could. He'd tried to be the best friend he could, but he usually felt like he was doing things wrong.

They did have some good memories together, like when she'd given him his lucky charm. He absolutely adored it, and carried it with him everywhere. It felt like having her...and even Ladybug with him all the time. 

He returned his attention to Marinette, who seemed to be thinking hard about something. It was funny, Ladybug's eyebrows scrunched together like that too when she was thinking hard. 

Finally, Marinette said, "Actually... I guess. I'm kind of...dating Luka at the moment. He's great, really. But I just..." she sighed, seeming to centre herself.

He tried to mask his shock. Luka? He hadn't even known. 

"I like him. And we are super similar, and he's so sweet and understanding." she leaned back in her seat, looking off into the distance. "I just... I barely have time for myself right now. I'm so tired all the time and there's just so much pressure with school and the bakery and friends and being–" She stopped and looked up at him panicked.

Adrien just nodded for her to go on.

"And being...Marinette. He seems to really like me, and I want to like him back. But it's almost like...I have no room left. Ugh, I don't really know how to describe this." She turned her big blue eyes to him, and he realised she was waiting for his advice.

"Oh, uh. Wow. I didn't know you were feeling that way, I'm sorry Marinette." Adrien thought for a moment. She had so much going on, so many things to worry about – he could relate to feeling overwhelmed. "I guess...the first thing to do would be to tell him how you feel. You said he was super understanding, maybe you just have to let him know that you need some time for yourself. And Marinette, it can be hard trying to live up to everyone's expectations, but you need to take care of yourself too."

Adrien wasn't sure where the words were coming from, but they sounded good. Perhaps he needed to let go of trying to live up to so many expectations too.

Marinette smiled, and Adrien felt his own lips pull into a smile in response. "Thanks Adrien, I'll try to do that." 

Adrien nodded and silence fell, but Adrien didn't find it all that awkward. Marinette felt familiar, calming and just...real – he could use some more of that in his life.

"Have you started studying for the physics test this week?" Adrien asked finally, not wanting their time to end just yet.

Marinette's eyes went wide, "Physics test! But I've been studying for the math test!" 

It was Adrien's turn to freak out, "Math test? Oh no, I completely forgot about it!"

They panicked for a second before Adrien tried to calm his nerves, "It's fine, maybe we could study together? You help me with math and I'll help you with physics. That way we'll both do well. Hopefully."

Marinette laughed nervously, "Are you sure? Will your dad let you?"

Adrien's heart sunk, "Oh...I don't know. He's been really busy lately. But my schedule is pretty clear tomorrow. I can do my Chinese essay later and my piano's always there for practice. Maybe we could meet up then?"

"Yeah, sure. I have to help out in the bakery tomorrow morning, but you could come over at lunch and we could work then. If you wanted." 

Adrien grinned, "Sounds perfect, I'll be there."

*****************

Hello! I hope you enjoyed this chapter, please give it a vote if you did, it really helps the story reach even more readers. :D