CHAPTER 13

Sorry if I'm late with an update. College is being a shit and dumping lot of work on me.😑

Hope you all like the update!
-----

We reach the castle by afternoon and I'm worn out from the anxiety and fear on my way. The guards lead the horses away and Zayn holds out his hand for me. I place my shaking one in his. He gives me a squeeze and I squeeze back. Together, we start to make our way up the fifty or so stairs, his family standing at the entrance of the castle. I think I squeeze the blood out of his hand in anticipation, but he doesn't complain. I recognize his mother first, looking even beautiful in person. She looks like she is awaiting us eagerly. And then I notice Doniya, who looks stoic, staring at us without any emotions in her face. And then Waliyah, who claps a mouth to her mouth when her eyes lock with mine. That has me turn red, without realizing why. I look away, to find the younger one, Safaa. She is emotionless as well and I feel my hope melting away. I actually stumble a little when I look at his father for the first time.

He looks so young in person and I gulp when I feel him scrutinizing every one of my moves.

Finally we reach them and I release Zayn's hand when Safaa hugs him. I politely step away, and Waliyah joins them.

"I missed you so much, Zayn" I hear Waliyah say and I look anywhere but at them. I feel like an intruder in their family, which I am.

"I missed you too, love" I hear Zayn say. For few moments, it's his family welcoming him back while I stand there awkwardly.

"Guys, meet my Liam" my heart skips a beat at his words. My Liam.

Just like that everyone's attention is on me and I had no trouble dealing with audience before. But this, I feel insecure, like they know what my intentions are when I'm just here for Zayn.

"Liam" he ignores the awkwardness in the air completely. "This is my mom, Patricia"

"Hello, my Queen" thank god my voice didn't break. But I don't sound good though, I sound choked up, so I clear my throat. I bow to her respectfully.

"Hello, my boy. It's nice to meet you finally" she smiles and I relax a little. "Look at you young men, no wonder you have my son wrapped around your finger"

"Mom!" Zayn groans while I grimace uncomfortably. "Liam, these are my sisters. This is Waliyah, Safaa and Doniya."

I didn't know how to greet them so I bow again, feeling like an idiot.

"Nice to meet you, princesses" I address them together. I try not to flinch under Doniya's unflinching stare. Safaa gives me a welcoming smile, thank the sweet girl for that. And Waliyah, she flushes along with me when I look at her.

"Um, hi" she mumbles.

"Hello" do I look ridiculous? I give her a smile, which I'm sure turned into a grimace but I mentally sigh in relief when she smiles back. Bless her.

"And Liam, this is my father, Yaser" Zayn says softly and I try not to faint under his father's eyes which looks so much like Zayn's.

"Honored to meet you, my King" I say, and for a moment, I make myself imagine what my father would say when I act like this while meeting people. He would want me to stand brave, with chin held up and never let the other decide I'm not worth attention.

So I do so, lift my chin up and meet the King's eyes directly, hiding my anxiety and fear.

And he just nods, still staring.

"Liam James Payne" he nods again and I try not to flinch again.

"Just Liam" I say silently. That makes everyone frown and I immediately know nobody knows of my family disowning me. I didn't know whether to feel relieved or horrified.