Chapter 31

“148….149..…150!!” Eric grunted as he pushed himself from the ground, completing his workout: 150 pushups.

He cracked his neck to get the kinks away as sweat rolled down his muscular body.  He was currently in his gym at home and it was in the early hours of the morning. 5:00AM to be precise. Usually he wasn’t used to getting up this early until it was 6 AM, but things had been different of recent.

Since the weeks that passed since the attack on Sharon’s house, he had been more occupied with vampire extermination but it seemed to be more frustrating as they seemed to just multiply. Kill one,Two appear the next day. Kill three, Seven appear. Kill ten, twenty five appear. It was turning to be one heck of a headache and it seemed to be affecting him emotionally.

At work, he kept to himself and most times he was brooding and preferred to be left alone. Some of his female colleagues who had tried vying for his attention saw the red signal from him and were wise enough to read it and back off.

Then there was that young one, Daniel. Twice that they interacted, at the hospital and at Sharon’s  house, Eric couldn’t help but feel that he had seen him before or  maybe they must have had a kind of connection somewhere. If Eric wasn’t mistaken, the look on Daniel’s face told the same story. And then the skills he portrayed in butchering those vampires. That kid was way too good for someone of his age, Eric mused.

He wiped his face with a towel and left the gym. On entering his bedroom, he paused and surveyed the room. Despite his part time dirty job of killing vampires and staining himself with their blood, he was a neat freak  His bedroom was well arranged and smelled of air freshner. His bed was well tucked and his dressing mirror was spotless and shone brightly. His clothes hung neatly by the closet, majority of them being suits and there was a box under where the suits hung, containing various vampire slaying weapons. On his bedside table were two pictures in frames.

The first frame was a picture of him and his late fiancée whose death drove him on this vicious quest. They stood together with her in front of him and him wrapping his arms around her waist. There had bright and happy smiles on their faces, the happiest he had ever been.

The second picture frame contained him and  his mother,  Doctor Adekoya.
The picture was taken many years ago when Eric was a few years old. He sat on her lap and there was a lollipop in his mouth. His mother smiled and held him tenderly as they posed for the camera. Eric chuckled as he remembered the first time his fiancée, saw this particular picture and teased him endlessly on how adorable he looked. He ran his fingertips along the picture mainly on his mom’s face.

“Despite our differences of late."  Eric sighed. “ You are all I have left, Mother.”

He left the table and was about to hit the shower to get ready for work when his phone rang.

“At this time?” He pondered as he picked up the phone. It was one of his comrades in the vampire slaying business, John.

John happened to be the same person who trained him in the art and gave him various information concerning the whereabouts of the vampires.

“Hello, John." Eric spoke. “What’s up?”

“Eric." John replied at the other end.
" You sound quite energetic. I guess you have been awake for a while now.”

“Yeah.” Eric replied, running his hands through his hair. “ I was about to take a shower. Any problem?”

“I would be lying if I said there wasn’t." John replied and Eric could detect the seriousness in his voice.

“What’s the matter?” Eric was more attentive now.

“I got news from Ghana." John replied. “ Our guys over there have discovered something there. And we might want to be careful over here. This something is a creature that might prove to be deadlier than vampires.”

“What is it?” Eric’s ears perked up as he heard that.

“It’s a werewolf.” John replied.

Eric’s eyes went wide. It couldn’t be!!

“That’s impossible.” Eric almost cried out. “ Werewolves are a myth. A false legend. Nothing more. Those guys can’t be serious. They must have seen something else…”

“Eric.” John interrupted, surprisingly calm.
“ I don’t think they would give me that information if they weren’t sure of it. Besides, we also believed that vampires never existed, you know how that turned out. If vampires have been discovered, then there should not be any surprise on the appearance of werewolves.”

“Did they give details on the appearance of it?” Eric sighed in frustration as he could feel an incoming headache. Just when things couldn’t get any worse.

“They said it was brown. About 8 feet tall and it’s eyes were green or so. The baffling thing is that it made no attempt to attack them.” John said.

“That’s odd.” Eric blinked in confusion. “How do we know if it’s not in league with the vampires?”

“That I can’t say.” John replied.
“ Although, judging from folklore, an alliance of a vampire and werewolf was as close to impossible. If anything, there was always bloody battles between the two with we innocent humans caught in the crossfire.” He chuckled.

Eric said nothing as a thoughtful frown appeared on his face.

“But the thing is..” John cleared his throat.
“ ..If one had been sighted over there in Ghana,there is a 99.9% possibility we would be seeing more of  them here. I believe it’s time to add another weapon to our arsenal. You know what it is.”

“Silver.” Eric growled as a scowl appeared on his face.

~First vampires, now werewolves. What the actual ass is going on?! What next? Witches? Lol. Anyway,don't forget to vote and comment. I'm always available to listen to your criticism and ready to answer questions~