Chapter 49

*FLASHBACK
                                            ~1517~
  A nobleman sat in a chair in the living room entertaining his guest. Though it was a traditional setting, the living room was quite furnished and neat. Two chairs made of mahogany wood were on each side of a silver-ardorned table which was occupied with different delicacies of food. On the floor was a rug made of animal skin. At the adjacent side of the room stood a wooden shelf which housed different ornaments made of gold. It was quite clear to those who knew him and those who visited him for the first time that the nobleman was very rich and powerful. However within the exterior of the man was a soul pocessed with greed and drunk with power. The nobleman wanted more. He wanted the whole town and how he got wealthy in the first place was not by clean acts.
"I tell you, my friend."  His friend said as he picked up a grapefruit and ate it " There is no better contender against you for the post of town chief"
"You can say that again." The nobleman laughed heartily. " This town needs somebody who can develop and strenghten it. Someone who has eyes for a better future."
"Very true." His friend nodded. " However i must say there is an issue to address here."
"Oh?" The nobleman questioned " What's that?"
"The vote count." His friend replied." Your direct rival, Mr Mbenza, is getting closer as we speak. He has 567,178 votes as opposed to your 567,564."
"Oh,my friend. That is nothing to worry about." The nobleman dismissed with a laugh. " You seem to forget who i am. I am the lion and this town is my jungle. There is nothing i want that i won't have."
" I know, but..."His friend began.
"You just leave it to me." The nobleman cut in, a confident look on his face. " I know how to sway the people to my side. After all,the only way to tame a dog is to give it meat."
They both laughed at his sentence and made to toast to the occasion only to realize that the wine had finished.
"LUKE!!" The nobleman bellowed impatiently.
A haggard and wretched-looking man entered the living room in a haste. His wrists were bound in bronze chains and his hair was dishevelled. His clothes were nothing to write home about as they could be considered rags.
"Slave!!" The nobleman shouted in anger and picked up a whip from behind the chair. Luke's eyes went wide with fear as he knew what was coming next.
" How many times have i told you to make sure there is always wine here when i am with a guest here?" The nobleman cried.
"Please,Master." Luke had dropped to his knees " Forgive my mistake. It will.."
A sting of the whip cut short his sentence as it hit him across his face. He fell to the ground in pain.
"How dare you speak when i speak?!!" The nobleman roared as he unleashed torrents of whip lashes on a sprawled and screaming Luke to the amusement of his friend who sat and watched. When he was satisfied, Luke was almost passed out.
"Aaron!!" The nobleman called and another slave entered.
"Take this filth away." He gestured to a tired Luke on the floor. " And get us wine."
" Yes, Master." Aaron replied and helped Luke off the ground and out of the room.
                                   **
Luke winced in pain as Aaron dabbed his face with a wet cloth soaked in antiseptic.
"Thank you, my friend." Luke said grafefully.
"You should thank the gods that master was in pleasant spirits." Aaron joked and put the bowl and cloth away. Luke looked better now.
"You call that pleasant?!" Luke cried out in anger.
"Of course." Aaron replied. " If he wasn't, you would have been a corpse by now."
"I can see you find my pain very amusing." Luke snorted.
"Apologies, my friend." Aaron said softly. "I feel the suffering the same way you do. I can not remember the last time i was happy."
"Yes." Luke agreed, a solemn look on his face as he stood up from the chair and joined his friend by the window overlooking the massive farm where they worked.The sun had begun to set in the distance and soon darkness would inevitably take over. For a while,nothing was said between the two men as each kept to his thoughts while reminiscing on their sufferings. Luke examined the scars on his arm and let out a sigh. This was getting too much to bear.
"One day,my friend." He said finally,bringing out his friend from his reverie. "This suffering will end. I can assure you that i will look back and remember this and laugh."
Aaron glanced at him and said nothing. After deliberating for a while,he placed his hand on his shoulder before bidding him goodnight and heading for the chambers. Luke stared on into the distance and after a while, headed inside.

                                *THE PRESENT*
"My Lord."
Luke was jolted out from his thoughts and he turned around to see Razor standing by the door.
"How did it go?" Luke enquired.
"It was a success." Razor replied proudly. " The werewolves are dead."
"Are you sure?" Luke gave him a questioning gaze.
"Yes, My lord. I can bet my life on it."
A triumphant smile appeared on Luke's face as he clasped his hands together.
"Excellent!!" He said " We are one step nearer to my ascension to godhood. Appetizers have been attended to.And now..."
Luke faced the window overlooking the town. A dark smile crossed his face.
"....The main course. "