Chapter 12

“ Hello baby.” Esther smiled warmly as she embraced her son. She had come to visit him in the school and give him some extra things.
“Hi mum.” Daniel replied as he hugged her back. She released him and she looked him over.
“Wow.” She said in mock surprise. “ You are looking bigger and more defined.”
Truth be told, Daniel’s training had  paid off and helped in developing his muscles. His biceps had enlarged and his chest became wider and solid and if he had raised his shirt, she would have seen his formed abs.
“Lots of exercise.” He grinned.
“So how are you doing?” She leaned into the car with her arms crossed.
“I’m doing fine.” He muttered. “ I’m great.”
“Daniel.”  A look of concern came to her face. “Are you sure?”
Daniel sighed. So far no one knew about his current predicament with vampires and he wasn’t ready to be taken into any psychiatric hospital if he tried spreading news about their existence. He glanced at his mom’s direction and studied her face. The expression on her face was pleading. As if begging him to spill his mind to her. He didn’t want to put so much on this woman who cared about his safety as her only son. What was he to do now?
“Yes,mum.” He smiled. “I am fine. I’m great.”
The look on her face revealed that she didn’t believe him but she chose not to press further. She believed sooner or later something would come out of it.
“Remember.” She said, taking his hands in hers and squeezing them slightly. “ we’ve discussed this before. If you ever have anything bothering you, I’m always there for you. okay?”
He smiled and nodded.
“So.” She smiled, releasing his hands. “ How are you celebrating today?”
“Well.” He replied, glad for a change in subject. “It’s actually at the beach.”
“A beach party?” She squealed.
“That’s wonderful. Opportunity to mingle right?” She winked at him.
“I don’t know what you are talking about.” He smiled shyly, avoiding her eyes.
“How would you know?” She laughed. “ So who did you invite?”
“ Well, Jake, my room mates and the whole of my department” he replied.
“That much?!” She cried out “ That’s a number of people. Which reminds me, do you still have some money left? Because a party for that lot would require a large budget."
“ Yeah, mum.” He replied. “ I’ve planned it right and I still have some cash left."
“Doesn’t matter.” She was adamant. She reached into the car and pulled out her  purse. She counted some cash and handed it to him.
“ Mum...” He protested.
“No.” She wagged her finger at him. “ I am not hearing it. Think of this as my birthday present.”
He sighed and collected the money. “ Thank you, mum.”
“Oh, that’s not all.” She smiled at him and he raised his eyebrow in confusion. “ I have another present for you.”
She reached into the car again and brought out a small black nylon, then handed it to him.
“ Happy birthday, Baby.” She said.
He collected the nylon and peered into it. His eyes went wide at what he saw. It was a pack which contained a brand new SONY headset. He cried out in glee and hugged his mum, squeezing her tightly.
“Oh, thank you, mum. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!" He cried out. “ You’re the best!”
“ I know ,right?” She giggled as she rubbed his back smoothly.
They disentangled and she held his face in her hands, caressing his cheeks softly. He  smiled, grasped her hands and rubbed his thumbs over them as they shared the silent moment.
“Go on.” She whispered with a soft smile and released her grasp on his face. “Go and have fun. Today is your day.”
“ Love you, mum.” He said.
“ Love you too, Baby.” She replied and then shooed him away, laughing. “Now get out of here and go enjoy yourself.’’
He waved at her and departed in the direction of his hostel.
“My baby.” She sighed happily as she watched his retreating figure. “All grown up.”
Looking away into the bright moon, she added in a whisper. “ You need to see him now, Joe. He is looking a lot more like you  every passing day.”
A sly grin came to her face as she entered the car and drove off. “ I wonder if the girls cluster around him. My poor baby won’t be able to handle them.” She giggled.

Luke  grinned as he watched her car drive away. Beside him stood a young man in his late teens. He wore a dark trench coat and tight leather pants with a black Tee inside. His hair was permed like Luke’s and he had a wicked smile on his face.
“Well, it has begun.” Luke chuckled and turned to the young man. “ Chris?”
The man looked at him expectantly.
Luke nodded his head towards Esther’s car which was a far distance ahead but could still in their view.
“Fetch.” He snarled viciously.
“With pleasure.” The man replied, cracking his knuckles as his evil grin became wider.