Chapter 37

Sharon lay on her bed, staring at the ceiling with a novel draped on her stomach. Her eyes looked distant  and her face was devoid of emotions. Since that horrible day at her party, she had yet to hear from her friends. Each of their lines weren’t reachable and most time she went to their hoses, they were absent. Another thing that bugged her was the appearance of those fierce creatures that disrupted her party. She tried to force herself to believe that she was imagining things but she couldn’t deceive herself. She had been having nightmares of recent and mostly woke up, sweating profusely. She kept to her self and mostly spoke in monosyllables when spoken to, which began to bother her parents greatly.

A knock came on her door and her mother poked her head in.

“Sharon, some friends are here to see you.” Her mom said.

She mumbled and climbed off the bed. Reaching the living room, she was stunned to see who awaited her. It was her friends. Daniel, Jake, Tomiwa and Annabelle.

“Guys!” She squealed and her face broke into a big smile and she rushed to embrace all of them. Annabelle included.

“It has been a while.” She gushed and then pouted. “ You are all mean. Leaving a girl out here alone and in the dark.'

“ Sorry about that.” Tomiwa laughed, tugging her braid. “Wasn’t our fault."

“So.”  Sharon smiled. “What can I offer you guys?"

“I think we're good.” Daniel waved off.

“Hmm.Are you sure?" She gave him a look.

“ You better open up now.” She added and everyone laughed.  Soon they all settled down and a big silence hung up in the air. The silence that was caused by how to get to the point. Soon, Daniel cleared his throat to lessen the awkwardness in the room.

“Listen Sharon.”  He looked at her.
“I know a lot has been going through your mind after what you saw that day.”

A  serious look appeared on her face and she sighed.

“I know you would have been wondering about those people....” Daniel continued.

“Those were not people, Dan."  She interrupted and a scowl appeared on her face. “ You know it as well. Normal people would never look like that. And I saw how you fought them off, which means you know what they are.”

“Vampires.” Jake spoke this time, although his eyes were not at her. They were glaring at the ceiling.

“Vampires?” She was stunned. “But they are a….”

“Myth.” Tomiwa concluded. “ At least, they were thought to be.”

“But unfortunately, they aren’t.” Annabelle said. “Trust me, I would know. The reason they exist is because of one. Luke. He is the  very first  vampire who was born more than a hundred years ago. All through his years, he has been creating more and more of them alongside his son, chris and they grow everyday.”

“This sounds like fiction.” Sharon stared wide-eyed. A disbelieving look appeared on her face. “I never thought it could be possible.”

“Well, it is.” Daniel sighed. “ We have to live with it. And no one is safe.”

“But suppose it is true.” Sharon said, doubt still on her face. “Isn’t there a way to kill them?”

“There is.” Annabelle replied. “ But for only the regular vampires. A sharp wooden object through their heart will do the trick. But unfortunately, it doesn’t work for Luke.”

“You mean he can’t be killed?” Sharon was scared now.

“He can.” Daniel replied, a vicious look on his face. “ But no one knows how to. The key to his demise is hidden somewhere with no clue to it’s location. To make matters worse, he can avoid that fate if he gets his hands on me.”