•s e v e n•

Third Person

"Look, Mouse!" Emma pointed to the small bird that was perched on the wooden railing.

"Oh, a blue jay! Did you know blue jays live for a super long time? About five to seven but the oldest recorded blue jay turned to be as old as twenty-seven!" Six-year-old Marley explained to her best friend.

"What else about them?" Emma held her best friend's hand and swung them back and forth.

"They mate for life, they are diurnal which means they are active during the day, and they have really strong bills." Marley kept spitting out the random facts she had tucked in the back of her head. Her grandma's favorite animal was a blue jay so of course, she knew all the facts.

The two girls walked through the empty forest trail with their moms following swiftly behind.

Emma and Marley meet about three years ago in a dance class and after a few more classes, the two became inseparable.

The two girls grew and helped each other with every little thing. They helped each other with their school work. Marley would help Emma practice her karate. Emma would help Marley with her hockey practice and cheer her on at all her games. Once they got older they started being each other weights. The two couldn't go a whole day without talking or some kind of contact. Marley became depressed when she was twelve and was even suicidal. She didn't tell Emma about all this till they were both thirteen. Emma would have nightmares after nightmares about losing her best friend. It's best to say these girls needed each other and nothing could separate them.

There was one day when Marley found out she was moving to Minnesota. That's a whole state tearing her apart from her friend.

"Hey, Em,"

"What's up, Mouse?" Emma looked over at her friend who looked like she was going to burst into tears any second.

"I- I... I'm moving." Marley felt a tear run down her cheek as her best friend stood there.

"Mouse, " Emma took her friend into her arms as they both cried.

They made sure their last days together would be the best they've ever had. They went to all their favorite spots, ate at their favorite spots, sat and watched the stars like they did when they were little. They finally went to the one place that really brought them together.

They opened the old door and were welcomed with the same small of the old dance studio they were at so many years ago.

"Hello?" Kristen asked as she came around the corner to see the two girls who were always dancing together standing right in front of her.

"Mrs. Kristen!" Emma ran over to their old dance teacher who looked like she didn't age one bit.

"Look at you two! You've grown so much!" Kristen looked at the girl who looked almost the same as they did when they were younger. They still held the bright smile they had when they would walk in holding their small jaw string bags.

Marley walked over to where the class dance picture sat on the wall.

"God we're so little!" Marley pointed to the little girls that stared back at them.

"My favorite students. Always brought a smile to the room." Kristen hugged the girls again and they stayed there trying to remember the moves that their dance teacher taught them. They soon said their goodbyes and went home.

"I miss that smell." Emma sipped her apple juice as she sat on the steps of her house.

"I do too. It was so welcoming." Marley finished her juice box and threw it into the garbage bin.