Two

"I have not received any instruction to have this conversation with you, Yagami-san. Actually, I was forbidden to speak to you under any circumstances unless it was absolutely necessary."

Light stopped in his tracks.

...what?

~

He tried to decipher whether or not she was lying.

...no, I don't think she is. She looked behind me when we first spoke, making sure we were alone and no one would interfere. She came at a time when my father, a member of the task force, wasn't there to witness it. If nothing else, she could have talked to me as soon as she saw Ryuk.

But she didn't, because she didn't want anyone else to know that I was Kira. L wouldn't have had her go through all that trouble- rather, he'd have wanted as many witnesses as possible.

(Y/N) looked down. "I understand if you don't believe me. However-"

Light didn't let her finish. He didn't look her quite in the eye. "I believe you. I believe that you don't want people to know that Light Yagami is Kira."

(Y/N) raised her eyebrows. "Really? You're sure?"

Light nodded. "Mostly. However, before I agree to the deal you presented earlier, I need proof you're not working with L."

(Y/N) smiled briefly, before noticing and covering it up. She bowed. "Thank you, Yagami-san." She was about to continue with more thanks, but Light sighed, and she stopped herself. She cleared her throat.

"Sorry. While we're at it, may I ask you something?" She asked him, holding her hands together firmly in her lap and trying not to think about how embarrassing she was being. Light nodded.

"I'll be able to provide you with proof I'm working alone by tonight. But, can I be sure you'll agree to the deal I presented once you've confirmed it?" (Y/N) asked, maintaining eye contact. Her hands were fidgeting, and she couldn't understand why. Light didn't seem to notice, closing his eyes.

"...yeah, I will. But I'll have to be 100% sure." Light replied, causing (Y/N) to almost smile again. She caught herself that time. She was about to thank him before he spoke up again. "But, once I'm sure you're not working with L, I'll need your name. Your real name, I mean." (Y/N) hesitated.

...this will be pointless if he kills me right away. I guess I'll just have to trust that he won't.

...no, he won't kill me right away. He wants to become the god of this world, and punish everyone he deems unworthy of living in it. He'd greatly benefit from the list of unconvicted criminals.

She decided that it wouldn't hurt to point that out. "That would just lead to me getting killed right away." Light shook his head, sighing and resting his head on his hand. "No, if I kill you, it'll be connected back to me. The best thing I could do would be to kill all of the others keeping watch over different people, but that would be... a hassle." He sighed again, and (Y/N) nodded.

"It doesn't really matter if you kill me quickly. As long as you plan it out, it could be seen as inconspicuous." (Y/N) shrugged, looking at the floor. Light raised an eyebrow, leaning forward.

"What's with the sudden change of attitude? You suddenly have a death wish?"

(Y/N) shook her head. "Of course not. I'm just aware that at some point, if you end up agreeing to our deal, I'll no longer be needed. That could be tomorrow, or months from now." She looked up at him. "As long as you kill the people I request, I'm fine with dying at any time."