Tickets

Hiraeth had woken up that Saturday morning, the day before ticket sales, to see that her dad and little brother were gone. Her dad was gone most days, usually out getting drunk or some shit like that, but Dakota never was gone in weekends.

Probably with his friends, Hiraeth thought to herself.

Hiraeth wanted to go to the concert but literally everybody in Maine would most likely be there. She looked around for her piggy bank she'd had since she was three. She opened it to find... quite a bit of money.

Usually her mom would always count her money because Hiraeth used to struggle with math but now Hiraeth had improved her skills, solely for her mom, so she would count it herself. She sat on her hardwood floor, stained with drops of paint; Hiraeth loved painting and was really good at it. She remembered when her mom would always paint with her. She still owns one of the pieces of art that her mom painted. It was a beautiful sunset over a horizon, the sky fading from red to yellow, the waves rippling and actively moving across the ocean. It was as if you could hear the waves crashing onto the beach, an easy sound to fall asleep to. She remembered these things and thoughts she would paint something for One Direction, and began counting the money she had been saving for over a decade.

After a countless amount of time she spent counting the money, her total was $875.46 (€721.29, £638.44)

Damn, Hiraeth thought to herself, I saved a lot of money.

Hiraeth went to the 1D ticket sales website and found the ones for Maine. She saw that they only costed $700 (€576.72, £510.48) for upfront seats!

How are they so cheap? She asked herself. But, she had to put her money on a credit card to be able to buy the ticket.

After that was done, it was already about 7pm. Her dad was still not home, nor was her brother. She was beginning to get worried so she decided to call Dakota.

The phone rang but no answer. She called him again, no answer. One more time...

"Hiraeth?"

"Yes it's me you dipshit where the fuck are you?!"

"I'm with my friends."

"Where?"

"What?"

"Where the fuck are you?! If you don't tell me then I'll just tell dad!"

"Ok ok fine. We're at a party, just down the street. Don't tell dad."

"Oh I won't tell dad...if you're home before him. He should be home soon now. Bye, Dakota."
Hiraeth hung up with those last words.

She didn't mean to scare her little brother, if she did, she was just worried and that was the only way to make sure he was safe.

At 8:00, Hiraeth was worried enough. She started pacing around near the front door.

It's been 50 minutes where the hell is he?!

Just as those thoughts passed her mind, Hiraeth heard the door open and immediately turned her head to see Dakota. She ran over to him and hugged him tightly.

"I was so worried" Hiraeth said, her voice heavy with guilt though it wasn't her fault.

"Why? You don't ever pay attention to me. You don't care about me, Hiraeth." Dakota stated. It wasn't true but it wasn't neccessary false. Hiraeth didn't pay him too much attention but she did care about her little brother.

"Dakota, do you really believe that? Is that why you did that?" Hiraeth asked. "Of course I care about you. I was worried because I don't want to lose you too. You're my little brother and basically the only family, hell the only person, I have left. Dad's a hopeless drunk and I've lost everyone else. At least you have friends... That's not relevant. The point is, I love you, Dakota. Please don't think I don't."