A Friend

I'm tired both emotionally and physically. I'm tired of the pain, the regret, they torture. I don't know how much of this life I can take. Many times I had been tempted to leave my pedestal and allow myself to turn to dust when the sun rises the next morning. Many times I have tried, but I something in me told me to go back and get through this suffering that seems to have no end.

I have become something for everyone to stair at, a piece of art is what they are calling me, if only they knew what exactly made me this way. The emotional scars outweigh the physical ones. The loss of my love hurt me more than the whips that ripped apart my flesh. Losing her felt like I lost a good piece of me and it's a piece that I will never get back, at least that's what I thought, until a few nights ago.

Some young girl had come into the cemetery to see the greatest art piece in the town. She came to read with me and left her book behind. She looked so much like Alvina it was scary and caused my heart to stutter in its beat. She didn't realize that I was beginning to change back to my natural form because she was so caught up in her book. She was quick to run off when her phone went off and even wish me farewell. Somehow she still hadn't noticed that I was not stone anymore and could everything she said.

Her voice was soft and gentle, something that soothed my scars and broken heart. I was sure to follow her home to ensure her safety, I even stayed a little longer than necessary to watch her sleep. I was surprised to see that she was staying with Elly Lupu, it seemed they were related, though I'm not sure how. Elly was not what she seemed and knew more about me and my situation than anyone else. Her connection to me came from the Pastor Formato who is the great great grandson of the man who beat and imprisoned me.

"You shouldn't be here Grimald. You know how Elly is."

My head whipped to the left to see a very old friend of mine standing with her arms crossed and a scolding expression on her face.

"I know, but something about that girl just...calls to me."

Her head nodded in understanding as she observed me in the dark.

"She is Elly's niece who flew out here to take care of her after her car accident."

I gulped before asking, "What's her name?"

"Alexis Viotto. An absolute sweetheart who is completely innocent of the evil in this world. Her aunt is to hard on her and she is very interested in you and your history."

I couldn't stop the small grin that broke across my face.

"Let's go Grimald. You can't be here, it isn't safe. How about coming to my garden for a little while before you have to head back to the cemetery?"

I followed her with my head down and my mind still on Alexis.

"Alexis visited me today. She chose to read her book sitting next to me."

I didn't miss the small smirk on her lips before she quickly tried to cover it up.

"Poor girl has become Elly's slave. She is up before the sun and cleans, cooks, and runs after Elly. I understand that she is immobile but I think she is taking things a little to far."

"Does Alexis know what's going on in this town? About the truth?"

I saw her shake her head.

"No, but I think she has her suspicions. Elly is doing everything she can to keep this all a secret, but I don't know how much longer she can do that. Ever since Alexis has shown up some things have begun to shift, the atmosphere is changing."

I didn't fully understand what she was talking about. Being stone during the daylight hours really left me out of a lot, but even I could tell from one encounter that there was something special about this girl.

"She needs to be careful." My friend continued, "As she begins to uncover this town's secrets she will be putting herself in immense danger. Grimald, I know that you are only awake during the night, but can you please watch over her and protect her?"

"I don't know how much I can actually do, but I will try."

She nodded and smiled in relief.

"Thank you. That girl is to obedient and naive for her own good. I knew this was coming, I just didn't expect her to be so...innocent."

"You have been around as long as I have." I said. " We both know people aren't as innocent as they seem."

She scoffed at my words before beginning to speak.

"Most people aren't I do agree, but some are. She is the definition of innocence and kindness. I haven't met a soul like hers since Alvina. The crazy part is, it almost seems like their souls are intertwined, she is so similar to her."

I gulped back the pain and sadness that threatened to surface. Even though it has been five hundred years since her death, the pain felt fresh, as if it happened yesterday. I didn't know where she was buried after her death, so I haven't been able to even visit her grave. I'm sure the ministers had her body put somewhere far away from me so that I could never have any sort of comfort for the rest of my miserable existence.

A warm hand found my large paw and gave it a gentle reassuring squeeze to try and give me some relief. Unfortunately, there was no cure for this, no relief for what I felt. I deserved this, I was a monster after all. If I wasn't one then none of this would have happened.

"Everything will be alright Grimald, you'll see."