Your daughter is ill

Y/d/n = your daughter's name.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I reach my hand over and rest my hand on Alex's back as he lays asleep. I close my eyes, drifting off to sleep myself in our large bed. Just as I'm about to fall asleep, the sound of Y/d/n crying out for me and Alex fills my ears. Alex lifts his head, looking in my direction as I sit up.

"It's ok, baby, I'll go. You sleep." I whisper, kissing him softly.

He hums and closes his eyes again. I climb out of bed and make my way into the small room that's attached to ours. I spot Y/d/n sitting up in her bed, crying.

"What's wrong, bubba?" I ask, pulling her into my arms.

"Here." She sobs, pointing to her throat. "Hurts."

"You've got a sore throat. Mummy get you some medicine ok? Wanna sit with daddy?"

She nods. I carry her into our room and sit her in the middle of the bed. Alex opens his eyes as she snuggles down into him and he wraps his arm around her, sighing. He puckers his lips and she kisses them. My heart melts. Alex pats her nappy bum and strokes her back.

"She's not feeling well. I'm just going to get her some medicine, Al." I say, walking off to go downstairs.

"Tell daddy what's wrong, baby." Alex says to her.

I find her some medicine to sooth her sore throat and walk back upstairs. I step into our bedroom to find Y/d/n still cuddled close to Alex, explaining how she feels and stroking his hair habitually.

"Sit up for me, bubba. So you can take your medicine." I say.

She sits up, holding Alex's hand. Alex sits up with her, pulling her onto his lap. I spoon feed her the medicine and she pulls a funny face. Alex leans down and kisses her cheek a few times, hugging her tight.

"I not feel better." she whines.

"You've gotta give it a little bit of time to work." Alex explains.

I stroke her cheek.

"Ready to go back to sleep, bubba?" I ask.

She nods, leaning into my hand that's on her face.

We lay back down and switch the lights off. She remains in Alex's arms, but holds my hand. I lean over her and kiss Alex's lips.

"Nun-night mummy and daddy." She croaks out.

"Goodnight."

"Goodnight, sweetheart."