Stood up

Slumping down in my chair, I ask the waiter for the bill. I can't believe Alex never showed up. This dinner was so important for me and for him. I was going to reveal my pregnancy to him, but he decided he had other priorities. I pay for the drinks that I had. I've been sitting here for over two hours and I've had enough. He's not answering his phone. I get up and shamefully walk out of the restaurant. This is so embarrassing. I look on my phone to call an Uber, but realise that it's not working in this area. I decide to just walk. As I'm walking it begins to rain and with no hood, I have no choice but get soaked. I decide I need to call someone for help. I ring my friend Amelia, who's miles's girlfriend.

"Hi, can you come pick me up?"

"Sure. What are you doing being out in this weather, in your condition?" She asks.

"I was waiting for my fucking husband, but he decided he didn't want to show up."

"Oh. He's sitting right here."

"What!? I've been trying to call him for the past two hours. I've been sat waiting for him in that bloody Italian restaurant he wanted to go to!"

"Alex is coming now, be careful."

"No wait-"

She ends the call and I sigh. I decide to just keep walking. I don't wanna get in his car with him. The weather has only gotten worse. After about ten minutes of walking, Alex's car pulls up next to me. I huff and keep walking. He jumps out of the car and jogs up to me.

"Come on, love, get in the car." He says, also getting soaked.

I turn to him. He grabs hold of my arms.

"Get off." I pull my arms away. "Fuck off, Alex."

"No. Get in the car." He pleads. "Come on, please. You're gonna catch a cold, darlin'. I'm not 'avin you walk all the way home in this."

"Fine." I sigh.

He opens the passenger door for me and I get in. He gets in on his side and looks over at me. I look straight forward, not wanting to see his face.

"I'm sorry I didn't show up. I completely forgot, love. I promise I'll never do it again."

I shake my head. I'm wet and upset. I shiver, as a tear falls down my cheek. I turn my body away from him.

"Don't cry, baby." He reaches in the back and pulls out one of his jumpers. "Come on, take your dress off and put this on. Them clothes are making you cold."

I know he's right and I don't want to hurt the baby.

"Fine. Give me it." I sniff shakily.

I take my dress off, while his eyes roam my body.

"God you're gorgeous." He mumbles.

He reaches over and runs a hand over my thigh. I sigh, as he turns on the seat heater. I slide his jumper on and put my head in my hands. He rubs my back.

"Please stop." I sob. "You're hurting me."

He glances over at me, his eyes full of sadness. He takes his hand away and continues driving in silence. It's about a twenty minute drive and I'm exhausted. I shut my eyes and lean my head on the door. I don't stop my body from falling asleep because I don't have the energy to.

-

Slowly, I start to wake up to the sound of someone on the phone. My eyelids flutter open and I see Alex. I sit up on the sofa and wrap the blanket tighter around me. I stand up and he turns to me.

"I've got to go. She's just woken up."

He hangs up the phone.

"How long have I been asleep for?" I ask.

"Only like half an hour." He holds his hand out for me, but I don't take it. "How do you feel?"

"I'm cold, hungry and my head hurts." I reply.
I check the time, 12:08. I walk into the kitchen and open the fridge. There's some leftover pasta. I heat it up and sit at the kitchen counter. Whilst I'm eating, Alex sits next to me.

"Can I ask you a question?" He asks, I look at him. "What did Amelia mean when she said 'your condition'?"

"Nothing, I don't know." I lie.

"Alright. I'm sorry I didn't show up. Miles was just distracting me and I forgot." He explains.

"You had one thing to remember Alex. Am I that forgettable? Tonight was so important for us and you ruined it. I sat by myself for over two hours and then I left, alone. It was so embarrassing." My voice gets louder as I talk.

"Why was it important?" He asks, calmly.

"Because I was going to tell you that I'm fucking pregnant." I shout and then realise that it slipped out.

I sigh and stand up. I walk upstairs, leaving Alex sat shocked in the kitchen. I get into our bedroom, get dressed and changed into Alex's t-shirt. I go to turn off the light, but Alex stands in the doorway looking at me.

"We're gonna 'ave a baby?" He asks, dumbfounded.

"Yes, Alex." I sigh.

He comes over to me and his eyes trail down from my eyes to my stomach, as his hand slowly lifts up his white top that I'm wearing. I'm not showing too much, but there is a little bump. He runs his hand over it and looks back up at me, smiling.

"We're 'avin a baby." He states, again.

His eyes glass over and a tear falls down his face. I nod at him and wipe away his tear, caressing his cheek. He switches off the light and picks me up, carrying me to our bed and placing me down gently.

"I'm so sorry for leaving you there. I will never ever do it again. Especially not with you carrying our baby. Please forgive me, darlin'?"

"Okay I forgive you a little bit." He grins at me. "But you can sleep in the guest bed tonight."

I do forgive him, but he deserves it.

"No, please, let me be with you." He pleads, as the thunder sounds from outside. "You don't wanna be alone with that storm outside. Do you?"

"Fine. I'll sleep in the guest bedroom then." I say, sitting up.

He pushes me softly back down.

"No, I will. Come and get me if anything is wrong though." He requests.

"Ok I will." I agree.

He kisses my stomach and leaves.

I lay down on his side of the bed, smiling to myself. For the next half an hour, I toss and turn. The sound of the storm outside making me uncomfortable. I give in to my heart and slide out of bed. I patter to the guest bedroom and peak my head in.

"Alex?" I call out.

He doesn't reply, so I walk over to the bed.

"Alex?"

"Mmm? What- um- what's wrong, love?" He sits up, alert now.

He holds my arm and examines me.

"No no. I'm ok." I giggle.

I hold onto his hand with both of my hands. I pull him up and he trails behind me with his forehead resting against my shoulder, still half asleep. I take him back to our room. He climbs in, but before I can follow a loud clap of thunder sounds. I jump quickly into our bed and slide my back against Alex's front.

"I knew you'd come for me, darlin'." He whispers into my neck, smiling. "I love you both."

His hand slides onto my stomach, while the other lazily holds my hand.

"We love you too." I sigh.