Chapter Ten

Wanda woke me up bright and early the next day. Okay, maybe it was ten o'clock, but I would have liked to sleep in for a bit longer.

"We're going shopping!" she exclaimed happily.

I got out of bed and put on Loki's shirt and pants. Once again, I had to roll up the bottom of the pants. At the height of six foot two inches, he towered over most of the Avengers.

When I was ready, Wanda took me to the garage. I was surprised to see Loki and Natasha waiting next to a car.

"What are you doing?" I asked them.

"Well, as your babysitter, I need to be with you at all times," Loki said.

I rolled my eyes.

"And Lady Natasha and Lady Wanda are here because we need someone who knows their way around a shopping mall," Loki said.

We all got into the car. Loki and I were in the back while Wanda was in the passenger and Natasha drove. The ride was uneventful. There wasn't much conversation. I knew that Natasha didn't really like me much because of what I'd said in the interrogation room.

We got to the mall. Wanda and Loki flanked me while Natasha walked up ahead. We went into a few stores and bought necessities, like underwear, shirts, and pants. Then we went onto more fancy things, like dresses for parties and formal events.

I found myself alone with Natasha after Wanda and Loki went to pay for our things.

"I'm sorry for what I said to you in the interrogation room," I murmured. "You are a hero. You're my favourite one, actually. I didn't mean what I said."

I saw Natasha glance at me from the corner of her eye.

"Apology accepted, y/n," she said.

I sighed in relief. Loki and Wanda came back to us. Loki held his arm out and I took it. We walked through the mall when we heard screams and a gun shot. We all looked at each other before running towards the sound. We reached the food court and saw three people with guns causing chaos. I recognised them as Hydra agents.

"Hydra," I informed the others. "Loki and Wanda, you two go around and get them from the sides."

Wanda and Loki looked at Natasha questioningly. She nodded and the two did as I commanded. Two of the agents spotted Natasha and I. They both shot at us. I pushed Natasha out of the way and shielded her. I blasted the agents with my power, and they all fell backwards. Wanda held them down with her power.

"You took a bullet for me!" Natasha exclaimed.

"No, I didn't-"

And then I felt the excruciating pain in my abdomen. I looked down to see a hole in Loki's shirt and blood seeping into the fabric.

"Oh. I guess I did," I said I said faintly.

I slowly lowered myself to the ground and placed a hand over my wound. My hands began to glow with a golden light as I healed myself. Loki teleported next to me.

"Darling, are you okay?" he asked frantically.

"I will be," I got out.

The bullet fell into my hand as I finished the healing process.

"See?" I said tiredly. "Good as new."

And then I passed out.

I woke up in a hospital bed. I groaned as I sat up.

"Woah, woah, you need to be careful."

I looked up into the eyes of Bruce Banner.

"Hi, there," I said, disregarding what he said. "We haven't met properly yet."

It was true. I had barely seen Bruce Banner around the tower.

"Yes, well, Loki tried to use me against the Avengers, and everyone thought it would be best if I stayed away, just in case you had the same idea," he explained.

He turned away to grab something.

"Right," I said, slumping against the pillows.

"I'm sure it's nothing personal," he said.

I laughed.

"Are you really sure?" I asked incredulously.

He turned around and looked at me apologetically. I looked to his hands to see my limiters. I looked at my wrists to see that they were gone. I sighed and held my arms out. Bruce clicked them onto my wrists.

"We needed to take them off to speed the healing process," Bruce explained.

"But I was already healed," I said, confused.

"I meant the healing of the body. You can't deal with that little power in your system, so we've allowed you to have some more," Bruce said.

I smiled genuinely at him.

"Thanks, Bruce," I said.

He smiled at me bashfully. He checked my vitals before allowing me to leave. I asked if he wanted to come with me to the common room, but he declined, saying that he had work to do. I walked to the elevator alone.

"Where can I take you, Miss l/n?" Friday asked.

"Can you take me to wherever the Avengers are?" I asked.

"Of course, Miss l/n," she replied.

"Please, call me y/n," I said.

"Okay, y/n."

The elevator began to rise. When the doors opened, I walked straight into an argument.

"She can be trusted!" Loki yelled.

"For the last time, Reindeer Games, we can't take them off without Shield's permission!" Tony yelled.

"Uh, hey guys," I said awkwardly.

Everyone turned to face me.

"Y/n, Darling. You're awake," Loki said gently.

"Yeah, I noticed," I said. "Were you guys talking about me?" I asked.

Everyone looked at me guiltily.

"It's just-" Clint began, but I cut him off.

"No, I get it. You guys don't trust me. It's fine. I haven't really given you all much of a reason to," I said fairly.

Sure, it hurt a little that they still didn't trust me, but there was a good explanation for it.

"You gave us a reason today," Natasha said. "You saved my life."

"Well, I mean, you're my teammate," I said sheepishly.

"It was incredibly selfless," Steve said.

I blushed at the praise.

"Well, um, thanks," I said.

"I trust you," Natasha said.

"As do I," Loki said.

"Me too," Wanda said.

All of the Avengers declared their trust. Even Tony.

"I – that means a lot. Thanks, you guys," I said quietly.

"We would let you remove the limiters, but we can't without Shield's permission," Tony explained.

I sighed.

"Yeah, I get it," I said.

"If it is any consolation, I had to wear limiters for a year," Loki said. "That they are discussing allowing you to take them off after a week is quite an accomplishment."

I blushed at the compliment.

The next day, Natasha asked me if I wanted to train with her. I accepted, and we took a step closer to friendship.