ch.20 | My Girl

ASA'S POV

I walk into the bar, looking for either the tall blonde or the beautiful brunette. Since I came from my office, I was still dressed in my suit and dress shoes, which I didn't mind, but I was dying to get out of. I had left my coat behind at the office, unfortunately.

I still haven't gotten used to the cold weather here, not that I think anyone could. It's way too fucking cold, and half the time, even with the heat running, I find myself constantly freezing my ass off.

But anything for my girl.

I spot the tall blonde at the bar, who is now waving me over. I walk over to her, noticing that Cassandra isn't with her. I nod to Camara, stuff my hands into my pockets as I approach her.

"Thank you so much for coming. She's in the restroom," Camara says, talking a little too fast for my liking. This girl can really talk. I have no clue how I sat through that entire dinner at the gala with her next to me, but it might have been easier since I was preoccupied with my eyes on Cassandra the entire night.

"Do I even want to know what happened?" I ask her, my voice stern. I don't know how I feel about her yet, considering the events of the past few days unraveling. I knew she was involved in all of this, but I don't think I fully understand how involved she is.

"No. I can tell you, but Cassandra can't know," she pipes, a bit too cheerily for someone who is lying to their best friend. "It's up to you, but just know that."

I nod once, deciding that it was enough of a reason to not ask. I don't want to have to lie to Cassandra, and it will eat at my head the entire night if know and can't tell her.

"I'm going to see Zac," Camara says, looking into my eyes intently. I can't tell if she's telling me that's where she's going, or if she's telling me that's what I'm supposed to tell Cassandra. I sigh, shaking my head at her, but accepting her statement. Better than knowing and lying, right?

"How much does she know?" I find myself wondering aloud, lowering my voice so that I'm sure that she's the only person that can hear me right now.

"Nothing. She doesn't. You know that though. And you know that we have to keep it that way," Camara says before beginning to grin. I raise my eyebrow at her, wondering why she's looking at me like that, but I'm quick to realize that she's not. She's looking right past me, and I quickly turn around, seeing Cassandra slowly walking towards us.

I give her a small smile. God, I hate this so fucking much. There's so much I want to tell her, but I have no right to say anything. The most I can do is be honest with her, but it's so hard to with the situation that I've been thrown into.

If I had any idea that I would meet her, start to get to know her, and start feeling this way about her, I would have never agreed to any of this. But then again, I probably wouldn't have met her to begin with if I didn't. 

"What are you doing here?" Cassandra asks quietly. My heart is thudding in my chest at the sound of her voice. She steps right past me, taking a seat next to Camara at the bar.

Before I can answer her, Camara pipes in, getting up off of her barstool. "I was just telling Asa here about how I really have to go home, and how you really need a ride," she says, her voice flat as if she's hinting something to one of us as she looks between us. I want to tell her to shut the fuck up, but instead I smile.

I don't say anything, but rather watch as I hear a small groan leave Cassandra's lips as her hand cups around Camara's arm. "What do you think you're doing?" she whispers and I try my best to hold back a smile, knowing that she's trying to spare my feelings. But I can't help myself, so I do smile, because I can tell she cares about me.