III

☽ 。・:*˚:✧。 ☽

☽ 。・:*˚:✧。 ☽

A SOFT breeze gently played with Diana's brown locks that lay sprawled on the sand. Its delicate dance on the skin of her face, arms, and legs made her smile. She breathed deeply and let the tension in her muscles fade with her exhale. Behind her eyelids, she could still see the light from the sun peeking through. Her fingers absentmindedly fiddled with an old and worn bucket hat, one her father gave her, that rested beneath her folded hands atop her stomach.

It had been two days, and Percy had been in and out of sleep. It made her nervous to leave him alone for too long. She was worried that if he woke up when she wasn't there, he would be confused and scared. Diana thought that if she were in his position, she would want a comforting presence around her to help her get adjusted to an unfamiliar environment. It took a lot of convincing from Lee, Annabeth, Silena, and even Chiron to get her to take an hour or two off.

Diana hadn't been sleeping well. Every night, her nightmares became more vivid, but still equally as confusing and startling. Instead of taking a nap as everyone had suggested, she strolled down the docks to clear her mind. She hadn't realized how much she needed this break from her busy mind until she was given the opportunity.

Diana was so at peace lying on the beach, so in tune with her breathing, she didn't hear the shuffling of footsteps approaching her until she heard the crunch of the sand near her head, indicating someone sitting next to her. She squinted and raised a hand to shield her eyes from the blinding light of the sun to see who it was.

Silena Beauregard and Diana Delgado became quick friends, much to everyone's surprise. People often assumed that they were polar opposites and couldn't possibly get along, but Diana was one of the only people who truly understood Silena. Silena helped Diana step out of her shell and be confident, while also sticking up for her when she knows Diana won't stick up for herself. Diana teaches Silena to consider everyone's feelings and talks her down when she's overwhelmed. 

"Hola, Muñeca," Diana said sitting up and scooting closer to Selena.

"Hola, Bebé," Silena wrapped her arm around the other girl, resting her cheek on the top of Diana's head. "Did you take a nap?" Diana shook her head which only made the other girl hum in response. "Have you eaten enough today?" Diana grinned and lifted her head from Silena's shoulder.

"Sí, Madre," Silena rolled her eyes, but let a smile spread across her lips. "I even made sure to grab a few granola bars so I could have them during my shift today."

"You do know that if you asked for the day off, anyone would happily take your shift," Silena said with a pointed look.

"Why would I do that?" Diana tilted her head, and Silena had to resist the urge to coo.