Chapter Twelve: Coming Out

October 2012

Saturdays were supposed to be for resting, at least part of the day, but Jimin was awful at resting. He was best at working, constantly pushing himself. And when he felt anxious he poured himself even harder into his work. The situation with Hoseok had made him a nervous wreck, so he spent all day working in solitude, perfecting moves that had been nearly perfect.

His phone buzzed, it was the group chat.

"Can everyone gather at home for dinner, we have to talk." Namjoon's message read.

Jimin swallowed nervously and packed up his stuff to head back to the dorm.

When he walked in, Hoseok was sitting on the couch, with JK and Tae and Namjoon sitting with him and Jin bustling in the kitchen making a large pot of tea. Jimin's heart jumped in happiness, hoping this meant that Hoseok was coming back to the group.

"Come on everyone, come in here and sit down," Namjoon called.

They gathered, the mood incredibly heavy, and yet lighter because Hoseok was there, bringing his hope...

"We have something sort of serious to talk about and face here as a group," Namjoon began. "If we are going to be successful we have to be able to trust each other, to be honest with each other." He gave Hoseok's leg a squeeze. "So, Hoseok thinks he might be able to come back to the group..." Jimin and JK and Tae all leaped up with a hollar, hearing the news they had longed for, while Jin and Yoongi fist pumped and high fived in silent joy.

Jimin noticed how Hoseok's face lit up when he saw how happy the idea of him coming back made the other boys...and yet there was still a darkness over him.

"Hoseok, what is it?" He asked gently, quietly, leaning forward to put his hands on Hoseok's arm and squeezing. Hoseok met his gaze with a watery smile.

"Well, you guys THINK you want me in the group, but you don't know the truth," he said wanly, his voice breaking as he struggled to finish his sentence. It broke Jimin's heart to hear him so hopeless.

Namjoon gave his leg another encouraging squeeze. "You are in a safe place. You are surrounded by friends." Hoseok's eyes met each boy's, one by one, found reassurance, found love.

"You can tell us anything," Yoongi said. "We are your family."

Hoseok exhaled a shaky sob and looked down at his hands.

"I am gay," he said quietly, "I like men." He started to cry, "I'm so sorry. How can I be an Idol?" He started to sob.

Jimin froze, not sure what to even say. He looked sideways at Jungkook who looked furiously at his hands. Luckily Yoongi always seemed to say the right thing in awkward moments.

"I like boys too, he said with a shrug. "And girls", he smirked. Suddenly his face became serious. "Truly though, when I have fallen in love it has been with a person, not a gender." He shrugged. "I am still gonna be an Idol."

Everyone stared at Yoongi in shock. Except Namjoon who just smiled.

"Well, I like girls," Jin said loudly and defiantly, "But I love you, Hoseok-ah, like a brother, and nothing will change that.

Jimin was afraid to meet anyone else's eyes. He didn't say anything, but he reached out a hand to Hoseok and smiled at him.

Namjoon smiled around at the group. "Does everyone still want Hoseokie in the group even though he likes boys?" He said with a knowing smile. Everyone jumped up and surrounded Hoseok. "Jung Hoseok" They chanted, "Jung Hoseok".

Hoseok wept freely, surrounded by his friends, feeling truly accepted for the first time in his life.