Chapter Seven: Welcome

May 2012

Finally, it was Friday. Every day that week had been packed but every moment with the members of Bangtan Boys. Jimin worried what next week would look like, it he would once again be an outsider...

As dinner time approached Namjoon called everyone together. "Hey guys, Yoongi and I have a little surprise for you guys! So we are going to wrap a little early today and have dinner at our place.." Jimin froze, unsure if that meant him, but Hoseok threw an arm around his neck and said "And YES that includes you Jimin-ah!" Jimin couldn't help the big, shy smile now plastered on his face.

.....................

It all felt too good to be true, Jimin thought, as he walked down the street, arms linked with Taehyung and Hoseok, legs burning from the week of intense practices but still making funny-walking games with peels of giggles from the three boys. I could hurt like this forever....he thought with some combination of wistfulness and bitter jealousy.

They spilled into the dorms that once felt unfamiliar to him. Now, he moved easily from room to room, a comfort that he didn't want to admit felt like home, and friendship. He helped to set the table for food while Yoongi poured wine for everyone.

"Alright everyone sit down, Yoongi and I have been working on something pretty special this week!"

It felt special, no one had touched their food. The plates and glasses of wine sat there expectedly. They somehow had the energy of Taehyung who was bouncing up and down on the couch clapping his hands and giggling for no reason other than boyish excitement.

Namjoon nodded at Yoongi who pulled out his laptop and with a few clicks of a button, it started.

Jimin didn't know what it was at first. It started off low, but a rising beat took over the room. Wait was that...his eyes shot to Yoongi who smiled a confirmation at him....yes that was the same drum beats he had "played around with" in the recording studio this week. More layers of sounds built on the beat.. simple melody on piano seemed to tiptoe into the song...and suddenly Namjoon's voice started to rap...and his, his own, Park Jimin's voice soared in a falsetto harmony, seeming to be part of Namjoon's deep one all at once. He sat there frozen....

Next what seemed like the chorus...first with vocals from the Golden Maknae, of course....but his voice joined too, and he had to admit, it sounded good, his voice seemed thick compared to Jungkook but somehow the fun and the emotions of this week were part of his singing in a way that moved his heart. The song kept waning and changing...Tae's voice layered with Hoseok's...Jungkook singing over Yoongi.

Finally the song ended with a melodic crescendo of his voice and Jungkook's. His heart soared with the music and he became aware of himself for the first time since the beat had started. He looked around the group now into each member's face. Yoongi and Namjoon had huge smiles on their faces. Jin and Tae looked shocked but excited. Hoseok seemed almost giddy... and to his surprise, Jungkook was crying softly with emotion.

"What was that?!" Jimin seemed to exhale the question before he could think about it. Namjoon's smile got even bigger.

"Well Jimin, as long as you say yes, it's the first song by the final lineup of the Bangtan Boys."

Jimin stared at him, swallowing. Was this a dream? He pinched his arm.

"How?" They had never even sung together.

"I am a genius, is how." Said Yoongi, happy and prideful and just as excited as everyone else.

Namjoon laughed. "It's true. This was mostly all Yoongi, he is such a talented producer that he could do this in just a few days with the samples we produced this week."

Every member now turned to Yoongi and started to stammer compliments and gratitude. Jimin was still speechless. Wait. He pinched himself again.

"So, Jimin," said Namjoon with a huge grin. "Does that mean yes, you will join the group officially?"

Tears sprung to Jimin's eyes and a quiet sob escaped his throat as he completely covered his face with his hands. Hoseok started to laugh. "Does that mean yes, Jimin-ah?" He laughed.

Jimin did not emerge from behind his hands but started nodding vigorously.. yes. Yes. He wanted this more than anything. He cried and through his hands he noticed Jungkook and Taehyung both crying too..

"Why are you guys crying?" Jimin emerged to shout victoriously from behind his wet hands.

"I just love you, Jiminie-ah!" Tae said emotionally and Jungkook's crumbled face could only nod along...

Namjoon raised his glass of wine. "To the future of the Bangtan Boys! Welcome Park Jimin as our final member!"