2 - 3

Junkyu

"Are we sure this is a good idea?" I ask Hyunsuk, Jaehyuk and Yedam at the dining table, where we sit waiting for Jeongwoo and Junghwan to serve us dinner that they made... themselves.

Hyunsuk snorts. "That's rich coming from you."

"I trust them in the kitchen more than I trust you in the kitchen," Yedam adds.

Jaehyuk laughs and pats me on the shoulder as I narrow my eyes at Yedam.

Our schedule for the rest of this week is relatively free besides our final music show appearances for this set of promotions on the weekend, so we've been given a rare evening off- and we chose not to spend this one practising anyway, so we're just hanging around the dorm and letting the kids cook us dinner.

"It's ready!" Jeongwoo calls out triumphantly from the kitchen, and Junghwan totters towards us, beaming and carrying a dish.

The food is... edible, at best. The other members all gush and pretend to love it, but I must be bad at controlling my facial expression, because when I make eye contact with Jeongwoo next to me he looks offended and pushes me. I push him back and Hyunsuk says "no fight, no fight!"

"Okay, no, it's not actually that bad," I say, eating more and ruffling Jeongwoo's hair because I don't want him to be sad. "Good job."

Then Jeongwoo takes his first mouthful and gags a little. "Oh my God, it's shit."

And so we decide to order in food instead, much to poor Junghwan's dismay. As we're eating, Jaehyuk's phone starts ringing. His face lights up as soon as he looks at the caller ID and I know who it is before he tells us.

"Asahi's calling," he says dreamily. "He wanted to work on our song tonight. I'll be in my room."

"Don't you wanna eat first?" Yedam asks, but Jaehyuk's already jumped up and is practically skipping towards his room.

"Hey babe, I was just thinking about you," we hear him say into the phone before he shuts the door.

I look away from where Jaehyuk just disappeared, and my eyes pause on Yedam. He has a weird expression on his face.

"Maybe they have the right idea," Hyunsuk says through a mouthful of chicken, and at first I think he means the fact that they're dating and I nearly choke on my own chicken, but then he clarifies; "We should all be using this time to work on our songs."

"Doyoung said he was FaceTiming his family tonight," Yedam says. "So we can't do things together."

"I guess I could call Haruto. We haven't really done anything," Jeongwoo says with a non-committal shrug.

Hyunsuk pauses for a moment, before chuckling and saying. "If I texted Jihoon trying to get him to work on our one night off he'd probably slit my throat, so maybe not."

Junghwan grins proudly. "Yoshi and I already know what we're doing so I can work on my own."

Hyunsuk pipes up and starts bombarding Junghwan with questions that he's excited to answer while I chew my chicken thoughtfully, wondering whether or not I should call Mashiho. I don't know if he'd be happy to work on our song tonight or if he'd be annoyed. But we've barely done anything, so we probably should. I don't want to be Useless Junkyu. I've felt enough of that with our recent performances. And besides, spending my free night talking to Mashiho doesn't sound like the worst thing in the world... not by a long shot.

I finish eating with the others, and then tell them I'm going to call Mashiho and head off to my room before Hyunsuk can comment on it. Closing the door behind me, I find his contact and hit the call button. As I raise the phone to my ear, I experience a moment of panic that I should have texted him first and he's going to wonder why I'm randomly calling him and this is going to look weird and- then he picks up on the second ring.