Chapter 11.5: Meeting the Adeptus (Pt. 2)

After leaving the inn, the trio went to Mt. Hulao, and saw a treasure hoarder pleading something.

"Have mercy, O mighty adeptus! I beg you... Show mercy upon me and my brother... Spare our lives!" The treasure hoarder, Li Ding, pleaded.

"What's wrong?" Aether asked him.

"Who are you? What's going on?" Li Ding asked again.

"We asked you first!" Paimon retorted.

"...Oh! You enjoy safe passage in Jueyun Karst... It can only mean one thing! You must be adepti messengers! Sent here to rescue me and my brother!" He said and smiled.

"What is he he talking about?" Paimon whispered, confused, while Mayoka shrugged. "No idea"

"...Oh, have mercy, mighty messengers of the illuminated adepti! I beg you to safe us! My brother and I, we only came here because our family is poor, and we heard tell of treasures hidden in the amber of Mt. Hulao. It was stupid of us... but all we wanted to do was find enough treasure to sell and support our family... We followed the path up the mountain, but suddenly, the amber... it swallowed up my brother, Li Dang! I ran away and made it this far before it dawned on me: We were trespassing in the abode of the adepti, and this was our punishment... I have no idea how to rescue my brother, so I just started praying for the adepti to have mercy, right here on the spot. And now, at long last, three messengers come to my aid..." Li Ding said.

"What? We're not adepti messengers... We just wanna find the adepti, like everyone else!" Paimon answered.

"No no no, you must be messengers... You have to be! I have no idea which amber trapped him... Please, you have to rescue him! I beg you, show me some adepti mercy!" Li Ding said, clasping his hand above his head and bowed a little, pleading at Aether and Mayoka.

" Of your transgressions, your predicament, and your repentance, one has become aware." Aether said, trying to imitate what a messenger say.

"Thanks be to the adeptus of Mt. Hulao, and to their messengers! Never will we be so foolish again..." Li Ding said and bowed again.

"Whoa check you out! When you speak like that, you actually make a pretty convincing adepti messenger." Paimon praised while Mayoka giggled.

"Alright you two, no time to waste, let's help this guy, find the adepti and inform them, and leave immediately." Mayoka said and they all went to find the ambers.

They followed as what Li Ding said, "went through from the way up to the mountain", and found some bright orange crystals which they suspected to be the amber.

"I think one of them contains his brother. let's break them and see." Aether said as they ganged up and destroyed the ambers. Some of the ambers contains slimes inside, but after a few moments, they destroyed the amber that contain the guy's brother.

"Wh-what happened? ...Y-you rescued me? Thank you... Oh? And have you seen my brother? His name is Li Ding, we were climbing the mountain together. But then, I... Well, I don't know. Did i get swallowed up by the amber? I think I must have been knocked out... I just hope he didn't get trapped in amber too..." Li Dang mumbled but loud enough for them to hear.

"I wouldn't know..." Aether nervously scratched his head.

"Alright then, I won't bother you anymore. Thanks again... I'm going to find my brother now. I really hope he's okay..." He said and walked off.

"What a troublesome..." Mayoka mumbled.

After that, they climbed– more like flew with Mayoka's pegasus, Sembrani, to the top and met up with the guy from earlier.