━ 12. A glimpse of the past & a bad news

Like almost all the witches and wizards in the wizarding world, Diana Lynstorm displayed her magical abilities accidentally in a very early age, though not in a very conventional or predictable way one would assume. And being a muggleborn witch, it created numerous predicaments for her and her muggle parents.

At the age of six, during one summer vacation, Diana and her family went to visit her grandparents who resided in an enormous, lovely farmhouse at Wigtown village of Galloway, Scotland. It was a happy occasion- her grandparent's 38th marriage anniversary. So naturally all of their close relatives and friends were there.

At dinner after everyone finished eating and was happily chatting, Diana felt strange suddenly - something she couldn't explain properly if asked. Like there was this foreign sensation in her chest as if something was burning inside and very slowly the feeling spread as far as her scalp; under her short, wavy auburn hair, she felt her skin pricked and tingle. Her eyes welled up involuntarily even though she wasn't upset and there was this deafening ringing noise filled her brain.

Diana heard her mother's concerned voice very faintly even though she was just beside her. "Diana, is anything wrong, dear? You look pale and... my goodness, you're so cold but sweating so much!" She vaguely felt a warm hand touch her forehead and neck. 

With great astonishment, Diana's eyes suddenly started seeing six digit numbers above everyone's heads in the room. She didn't know what those numbers were- they were slightly moving as if dangling over their head and glowing a little.

Then all of a sudden she saw the six digit number over her smiling grandmother's head glowing bright red in color, unlike the other numbers above everyone that were emitting faint silvery light.

12-05-03

As if she slipped into a bizarre trance, she felt her body move on it's own.

With her hand raised towards her grandmother's direction and her eyes wide and glossy, she uttered loudly, "Your demise shall come at the end of the spring."

When every single person in the room snapped their heads at the younger girl in astonishment and her mother suppressed a scream coming out of her mouth in horror, Diana fainted.

She had no idea how after she fainted, the people started saying absolutely nasty and horrible things about her, especially aunt Sharon who relentlessly kept telling everyone that she knew that something was wrong with Diana the moment she was born. Though amongst all this her grandmother didn't say a single word against her precious granddaughter but her face said that she was feeling disturbed as well over this bizarre behaviour of the little girl.

Diana woke up exactly three hours later to find herself in an empty room- the guest room and the other side of the room was dead silent.

"Mum?" She called out, rubbing her eyes.

After a few minutes, the door opened and both of her parents were standing outside. She saw a little hesitation in their faces before they finally came inside. Both of them sat down on either side of her silently. Diana peered at her mum and dad's faces in confusion; their expressions were unfathomable and Diana couldn't help but notice how both of her parents sat maintaining a little but noticeable distance from her.

"Darling..." Her mother started, looking at her with mixed emotions. "... do you remember what you said right before you fainted?"

Diana nodded in affirmation. 

Her father took a sharp breath. "... Why would you say such a thing, love?"

"Why?" Diana looked at her parents with confusion and tilted her head. "It's the truth though. Grandma will die at the end of the spring."