━ 9. And everything went downhill

Diana stared at Snape breathless and wide eyed as if she had forgotten how to formulate words correctly.

Snape's face contorted into a nasty kind of smirk, his long, hooked nose high in the air and his brows shaped in a contemptuous raise.

Sirius was saying something, that much Diana realized but what he was actually saying, she didn't know. A ringing noise filled the whole room or Diana had the impression that it was only inside her head.

There was a time in Azkaban, no, not one time, from time to time she thought about what Sirius was thinking about her, did he really believe that she had betrayed Lily and James, and how relieved he'd be when he'll finally find out that she was innocent all along? After a couple of years, she could hardly remember her friends' faces but the person who never faded away from her memory was Sirius Black.

Now how was she supposed to feel when she had learned that he was partly the reason she didn't get justice and couldn't get out of the Azkaban for twelve years?

"Diana, listen to me!" Sirius pleaded.

"I'm listening." She heard herself utter.

"I-it was all a mistake. I didn't know James and Lily changed their secret keeper. I-I saw their bodies on the floor, Di, dead and cold and I retrieved Harry from there that night. I was enraged, Diana. I was blinded-"

She heard him rambling on but she could hardly say she actually listened to anything at all. She interrupted him.

"You know, you preach so much about your friends and friendship but the truth is," She looked at him dead in the eye. "You don't even know a thing about friendship."

Sirius froze.

"You used to call all three of them- James, Remus, Peter, your brothers but in reality you've always seen only James as your best mate and your brother." Sirius opened his mouth to protest but she cut him off. "When the news of having a double agent among us spread, you didn't hesitate to suspect Remus just because of his condition."

Remus stiffened at that and Harry looked at him confused. Hermione gasped slightly and Ron looked at her confused. The teacher glanced at his smartest student with narrowed eyes but didn't say anything.

"You never suspected Peter because you've always thought less of him, always thought of him a good-for-nothing. And Regulas, oh Regulas..." She looked at him coldly and he clenched his jaw in anger for bringing up his brother. "You never even tried to understand his situation and just cut him off completely when he got the dark mark. Just like you did when you found out about mine. You didn't even listen to me for once- my reasons, my situation."

Remus looked at Diana astonished. 'So Sirius had known about her dark mark all these years?! Is that why they were in such bad terms at the end of the war?'

Sirius looked at the verge of breaking down as he looked at her with glazed, dark grey eyes. She was stabbing him with her words that felt like shards of glass, words about him that he wanted to deny vehemently but deep inside he knew it was what he deserved probably.

"You don't even treat your own friends equally, and who am I to you? An outsider." A cold chuckle came out of her chapped lips.

Sirius's handsome face ashened and eyes widened. "No! Diana, you're not an outsider--" He wanted to say he loved her but in a way, he felt like he'd be insulting the words.

Diana continued as if she wasn't even listening to him. "You always say how you've always hated prejudice and everything, well, the truth is, Sirius, you've been prejudiced against people all this time, even if you don't want to admit it."