𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐟𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐚𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

╭                        ╮
1908
╰                      

"Kol, you have to think about this," a desperate Elijah said as him and Klaus tried their hardest to keep up along with a Kol who was walking with determination.

"I have thought about it. I know it needs to be done," responded Kol, stopping in his tracks, turning to look at his brothers. "It's just- we have to. We have to do this. There's no other way. It has to be like this."

"No it doesn't!" Klaus protested, throwing his hands up in frustration, making those who walked by look at them in disgust. "She can come with us! Aurora can stay with us. We can protect her."

But somehow, Kol didn't seem to budge on his idea. Their father was coming closer. Mikael was getting closer and closer to make his way to kill them. Kill all of them. And if Aurora Salvatore was with them, only god would know what that man would do with her. Knowing what Mikael was capable of, death would be like a blessing.

"You know what, Kol? You're being selfish right now," Klaus told him, rubbing a hand over his face, but that just made Kol even angrier.

"Selfish? What I am going to do is far from selfish. You know what was selfish of me? Keeping her with me. Keeping her with us. For all these years, she has been with us. And that was selfish for all of us to do that to her," Kol told him, emotion surging through every word he spoke, "You know who we are? We are the Mikaelsons. We are bound to attract the bad. And if I really did care about her, I would just let her go."

Before either brother could respond, Kol turned back around, walking inside, stopping immediately when he saw Rory sitting in place, a wide smile on her face as she spoke to a person even she didn't know.

He had to stare at her for a moment. Just to be able to look at her with a smile. Even if that smile wasn't intended for him. It was her smile.

It was mid December. No longer was there sun in the skies. No longer was there an everlasting warmth through day and night. It was cold. It was a harsh kind of cold. The kind that makes you beg for even the slightest sign of the sun. 

A perfect representation of what if was like inside Kol Mikaelson's head. As much as he wanted to be with Rory, because he did. He wanted it more than anything. Except there was one thing he wanted even more than that. He wanted to know she was safe. She was alive. The difficult choice was if he wanted her to be safe with him, or safer without him.