36 | knight in shining armor

The sky drew darker than it did before. The ground had become dusty and grey. The lake was pitch black full of ink. Screams and cries echoed all around Hogwarts. With the shrieks of sorrow and yells of magic, the surrounding environment matched the horrific events happening at this moment.

Hermione Granger dodged several spurts of spells clumsily aimed at her direction. Jumping, ducking, and dodging left and right, she weaved through the dead bodies and dueling pairs. When she saw a struggling ally, she'd take it upon herself to bring them to the nearest hidden safe place to rest and recover. When she saw an unsuspecting Death Eater, she would wave her wand and strike them with a curse.

She was heading straight towards the Hogwarts castle. Several other pairs of duelists were batting in the halls, and she helped against the Death Eaters by striking them as well and sending an acknowledging nod to her allies.

She was dead set on getting to the library, needing additional information to help the others. She had remembered the exact book, location, and page number of the information she read, but she had to find the book. She needed to find the book. It was the key to helping the healers counter and heal the curse Dolohov has been testing on multiple victims, including her.

Climbing over the rubble that blocked the door to the library, she creaked the door open.

It was dead silent. She tensed at each rushed step she took, her wand brandished. She was afraid someone would jump out from behind the tall, untouched bookshelves and finish her right then and there.

"Granger, what the fuck are you doing here?"

Hermione jumped, spinning on her toes with her wand raised steadily against the neck of the person who sneaked up on her.

"Oh, it's just you," she sighed in relief, lowering her hand to her side. Draco Malfoy, covered in sweat and grime from the battlefield but still as annoying as ever, shot her a lopsided smirk.

"Don't sound too excited," he partly sneered, walking past her and towards the shelves. "What are you doing? Shouldn't you be with Potter and his pet weasel slaying You-Know-Who?"

"Shouldn't you be with the Death Eaters and asking for information? You're a terrible inside agent," she muttered, walking past him to the aisle where the book she was searching for is.

"They're all dying. What am I supposed to do, ask them if I could record their last, dying breath to send to the Order?" He scoffed, trailing a few feet behind her.

"At least you'd be useful," she remarked, her fingers dragging lightly against the spine of the books. Draco replied with another scoff, crossing his arms and surveying the entrance for any likely intruders.

"You're the one reading at a time like this, if anything, you're less useful than I am."

"I'm helping the healers. They need a cure. They mentioned an ingredient I recognized in one of the books somewhere here. If I could just find it...." Hermione bit her lip, squinting at the higher shelves.

Draco unconsciously eyed the way her teeth gripped her bottom lip, his eyes growing dark, before staring back at the door almost guiltily, "Hurry up, with your loud mouth they'll definitely find you here. I'll be over there. Just don't be too long, I'm not staying forever."

She couldn't help but roll her eyes, "No one is asking you to stay."

"Your lack of backup and defense is," he retorted, stalking away and towards the entrance of the library as lookout.

A sigh escaped between her lips as she finally found the book she was searching for. But before she could even open it, the noise of skidding feet and scuffles echoed throughout the room. A few obscenities were muffled from the noise, and before Hermione could walk out of the aisle to see what was going on with Draco, a loud bang occurred from the aisle behind her and she jumped in fright.