01 | guitar

Hermione,

Knees bouncing, he adjusted the muggle instrument in his hold in search for a comfortable position. Brows furrowed to focus, he flexed his fingers across the copper strings unknowingly.

It's been quite an interesting few months.

He eyed the sheets of parchment paper on the couch besides him. He'd learned how to read musical notes the past couple of weeks. He wasn't an artistically inclined person, but he remembered something of how a certain curly-haired girl had an appreciation for music. So he wanted to do something special for her. Something to tell her he appreciated her as much as she does music.

I remember seeing you in the library one day, balancing on your toes and jumping to reach a book. I remember thinking how utterly stupid you were for not using magic. I wanted to walk over and knock the books out of your arms to get a rise out of you.

Frustration and helplessness was a given, but his motivation has always been her. He didn't stop learning no matter how aggravating the muggle instrument could be. He attained his guitar from Harry Potter when he asked him where to get that sort of thing. He was surprised someone like Draco would ask about a muggle device, but he helped for the sake of his best friend.

But then I saw you. Really saw you. You weren't the maned lion you were back in first year. You were... you were rather pretty. Your hair was tamed and up in a messy bun, loose strands framing your neck and face. I remember vividly.

Draco brought the sheets of notes closer to him as to look back and forth between the strings of his guitar and the song he was learning. A frown contoured his pale face, fingering the frets and plucking the wires as shown in the notes.

I guess I remember as it was the first civil conversation we've had. I was intrigued. I've taunted you daily, I've called you awful things until it was a nickname, I've done so much to you I now regret every time I think of it.

He had the first verse down after a long half hour, but it was still quite clumsy and slow as he wasn't accustomed to transitioning the positions of his fingers down the frets. Despite the lack of fluidity in his strumming, he felt a tad proud of the small bit he accomplished.

But somehow, you forgave me. I don't understand. Why? Why don't you hate me? I hated you when I saw you there in the library. I hated you when you smiled at me at Potions. I hated you when you laughed with Loony or Weaslette down in the Great Hall. Yet you still came back.

Draco wanted to yank the strings off the wooden instrument. He wanted to rip the papers and growl out the window into the starlit night. It's been a few hours now, and he only learned half of the song. Still slow. Still clumsy. He wasn't getting anywhere.

He tossed the guitar onto his green sofa, repetitively running a hand through his platinum, coarse hair. He dragged his palms down his face and leaned forward on the sofa, his sharp elbows resting on the nubs of his knees as he gripped the roots of his hair. He ought to take a five minute break.

I'm learning this muggle song on the guitar. It was released two years ago: "I'll Be" by Edwin McCain. It's difficult. I want to give up. I don't know why I'm doing this. For you of all people too. Granger, aren't you so lucky? I think of you when it gets complicated and I immediately feel inspired. It's crazy how you don't know how much you mean to me. I guess it's why I chose this song, because I want to mean something to you too.

The last bit of the song seemed easy. The chorus repeats and he seemed to find an ounce of energy left late at night to finish the song. He had practiced the first half until his cramped fingers got used to the formations to have a smoother transition between chords. He felt overworked, a new feeling for a Malfoy who's raised among servants and riches, but he was satisfied.

You might say this song is for weddings. I'll disagree out of embarrassment. But I really don't mind honestly. I've been thinking about the future a lot since I've met you. You were in my future for everything I want to do.

It was a new day. He was a nervous wreck. He couldn't concentrate in classes or conversations with his Slytherin friends or giving attention to his girlfriend. His girlfriend noticed and pestered him as usual about his nervous stinginess and the distracted flits of his eyes.

"I have something for you," he finally revealed during dinner.

"What? Really?" Her chocolate eyes brightened and melted into his. His index finger played a rhythm of its own against his thigh as his nerves heightened once more. Why was he nervous? It's just a song... a song that revealed all of his desires and feelings for her.

I know I'm bloody awful at expressing my emotions. I'd rather do than say. But I wanted to say something for you. I needed to. Words were something you adore, as you are a book nerd after all. How could I be with you and not ever word how I feel when words are of value to you? This is my way for words. I hope it's alright. Don't even think of telling me it's not, my pride wouldn't take it.

Draco led Hermione into his common room, the rest of the Slytherins were out on his command. They knew he was doing something special for Hermione, and they allowed him the privacy to do it.

He took out the guitar from behind the sofa he sat all day on in the previous day. Hermione grinned excitedly when she saw the instrument, her adoration for him growing at the fact that he took a lot of his time learning how to play a muggle instrument for her.

"Stop smiling, Granger." He grumbled as he sat on the sofa next to her and rested the guitar atop his leg, "It's annoying."

I love you. I don't bloody know how but I do.

"I don't think I can," Hermione laughed. "Go on." Draco's silver eyes flickered to hers at the sound of her laughter before returning back to his fingers on the guitar.

After a few moments of hesitation, his calloused and aching fingers began strumming and plucking, dancing across the copper wires that produced the music he sang to in his low, baritone voice.

It was almost a whisper.

Words said for no one else to hear but her.

Your greatest fan,

Draco Malfoy