08 | rainy nights for better days

Draco,

I know you don't mean it.

She found herself running out the door, eyes watering and voice spent. Her throat painfully constricted as she choked back a sob.

But that doesn't mean it hurts less.

"Granger!" she heard the furious tone of his voice call out to her, but she could hardly comprehend beyond her muddled thoughts.

Their surnames usually appears in conversations where they tease each other or call the other for their attention as a habit. But in rare cases, when arguments spike and their emotions get the better of them, they've seem to come back to their old ways. Their arguments may not be as cruel and malicious as before, but it did have the same intensity. It was something both were quite aware of and were still working on, but there were times when all other thoughts fly out the window and the last thing they remember is logic as they get too caught up in the anger and frustration. Including at this moment.

I keep thinking about it. It was bigger than our usual banters, and definitely more serious.

She wandered around aimlessly on the grass outside of the Hogwarts castle under the cloudy skies, uncaring of the other wizards and witches staring at her in wonder or concern. She looked like a tearful, puffy wreck. Her thoughts unwantingly traveled back moments before. Where she had she casted a quick spell over her figure to change from her comfy muggle pajamas into her robes to prepare to leave the Head common room, arguing with Draco Malfoy.

"Where do you think you're going? We're not done here." His voice was low and dark when he saw her switch clothing.

"Going out," she replied curtly, glancing at the mirror to assess how she looked. Awful. She looked quite awful, and was possibly about to get worse.

"No you're not," he growled as he strode over to her in large steps, yanking her wrist to turn her around before she reached the door. She released a gasp when she was twirled around and felt forced to stare into his steel eyes. She retrieved her wrist away from his iron grip angrily.

"Why not? You can't keep me in here! And don't grab me like that again," she snarled.

His eyes narrowed bitterly down at her, his face edging closer to hers as she boldly held her nose high and stood her ground. Their foreheads were almost touching, but by no means was the moment romantic with the crackle of electric tension and heated glares between them. "I can do whatever the hell I want, Granger," he sneered.

"And I can't?" She snapped back.

"Not when it comes to my private life," his lips curled nearly into a snarl as his glare intensified.

"It's been more than a year, Malfoy!" She exclaimed frustratedly, her fingers clinging to the roots of her brown, curly hair. "I've told you everything about me!"

"And so? Wonderful of you for telling me those things like I asked for it," he bit out with heavy sarcasm. She almost flinched at the tone of his words, a sinking feeling seeped into her that he never truly cared in the times she felt comfortable to tell personal details of herself, and she suddenly felt a bit small. She attempted to ignore this outrageous thought, but uncertainty of the unknown had already been planted into her head. "There's just some things you don't need to know," he responded darkly, his face shadowing as his eyes seemed to darken at her.

"And I get that!" She shouted out, the burning sting of hot tears erupting from the corners of her eyes as her frustrations heightened, "I really do!"