The one that got away

BARRY POV:

It all started with a stupid bet! Because of this damn bet, I lost the most incredible girl ever. It all happened when I was only seventeen years old and I was in the last year of high school. One night, after drinking a few times, my two best friends found it a brilliant idea to place a bet between the three of us and the worst thing I did was accepting. And what was that bet, you ask?! Well, the bet was that I had to win over the next girl who came into the room.

"Do you think you're capable of that, Allen?" Asked Ashton, one of my best friends.

- Of course I can.

- It seems that we will already know who will be the lucky one, - said Samuel, my other best friend. - And the lucky one is Caitlin!

- And how much time do I have to win?

"Three months," replied Ashton, after pondering the matter.

- And what it my prize after winning the bet?

- If you win the bet, we'll pay you lunch for two months. But if you lose, you're going to pay us both lunch for two months. Do you accept?

- Let's do it. Start saving boys ...- I said looking at Caitlin this time.

When I saw her, I knew I knew her but I think we had never spoken much before. I only know that she gives explanations, because she is an excellent student! And I know that she, like the three of us, is in her last year of high school, but she is in a class different from ours ... But other than that, I don't know anything more about her.

If I want to win her over, I can't talk to her in this state, so I'm just going to start my mission tomorrow at school. The next morning, as soon as I got to school, I started putting my plan into action. I just had to find a way to approach her, without looking too suspicious.

- Caitlin, wait a minute. - I said when I saw her walking in the corridors. - I was looking for you.

- Seriously? Why?

- I am having some problems with Science and I was told that you would be the ideal person to help me raise the grade. Do you think you could give me some explanations? I know you must be busy with your already "students" and other school stuff, but I would be very grateful if you could help me.

- Of course I can. It costs me nothing to help you and it will make it easier for us to be in the same year. When do you want to start explanations?

- Could it be this afternoon?

- Okay for me, can we schedule it after lunch?

- I even had a better idea, I know a very good dinner nearby. We can have lunch there and enjoy and study there. They have a space for that.

- Okay, so I'll wait for you at the school door at the time of departure.

- Deal. And thank you for giving me this help.

- You don't need to thank me. Well, I have to go to my locker, so I think we'll see you later.- she said, starting to move away from me.

- Wait, did you mind if I keep you company? My friends have not arrived yet and so we needless to be alone.

She thought my request was a little strange, but she didn't mind that I accompanied her. From this day on, Caitlin and I started to meet twice a week, outside of school, because we passed each other a lot in the corridors and at the end of the first month, it was as if we had known each other since we were kids.

I knew almost everything there was to know about her and she about me. In the middle of the second month, it was as if the two of us were siamese, as we spent most of our time in each other's company, rather than apart. And then what I most feared would happen ... I started to fall in love with her! Also how is it possible not to do it?! She is a beautiful, friendly, intelligent, loyal and quite interesting girl.

However, although my heart was busy thinking about her, my head could only think of the stupid bet I made that night with my two best friends. Hey, how stupid!!

- Heyyy, Barry ?! Are you here? "Asked Ashton.

- What's up, man? It seems that you are in the world of the moon, "said Samuel this time.

- This can't go on. I want to give up the bet! I don't want to know if I lose or not, I just can't continue with it.

"You really like her, don't you?" Asked Samuel.

- I know it can be kind of cheesy, but yes! It is impossible not to like her, once you get to know her. In fact, even you two are starting to sympathize with her and you cannot deny it.

- That's true there! I never thought she was fun.- said Ashton smiling.

- I pay you what you want ... I give you the stupid money, I just can't keep the bet.

"What bet?" Someone asked behind me and I recognized the voice immediately.

"None," Samuel replied quickly, but she looked at me and realized that something was going on.

- Barry, you know you can't lie to me. I know something is going on, tell me what bet you made.

- Okay, I'll tell you. I prefer that you listen from my mouth, than through the mouth of others.

"Do you want us to leave, to talk more freely?" Asked Samuel.

- Not! In a way, the bet was on the three of us, so the most correct thing is that we are all three present when we tell her. Let's go to a classroom, to be more comfortable. - I said taking Caitlin's hand and we entered the four in the first free room we found.

I was nervous because I knew that this conversation would only end badly. The worst is that I was about to lose the girl I love, all because of my stupidity, which should never have happened.

- Before I tell you, I want you to know that I really like you a lot.

- Barry,  you are making me worried. Go on, tell me once and for all.

- Do you remember that party that happened the night before the day I asked you to explain science to me? The one that Byan organized in his house?

- I remember vaguely, but why?

- That night, I had a little too much to drink and the three of us had a pretty crazy idea.

"What?" Asked Caitlin, not understanding anything that was going on.

- We bet with Barry that he couldn't win the first girl who came through the door.- Samuel said, trying to choose the best words for the explanation.

- And I, like a donkey, accepted the bet.

- Yes and .... What do I have to do with this?

- The girl was you!

- Me? Wait, let me see if I got this right. You bet with them, that you were able to make me fall in love with you?

"Yes, that was it," I said, lowering my head. I could tell by her voice that she was on the verge of tears and was unable to look at her face.

- Is that why you came to me that morning? And the explanation was your way of "breaking the ice" ... How did I manage to be so stupid as to believe that you would want to have something with me?! And to think that I was really falling in love with you ...

- Cait ...

- Don't call me that. In fact, don't call me anything, because I don't want you to address me anymore.

- But I really fell in love with you! Caitlin wait ...- I said grabbing my arm so that she would turn back to me, but I only managed to get her to snap.

- If you really like me as you're saying, you'll do me a favor. As soon as you see me in the hall, turn around and go back. Forget that we were ever friends, if I can say that we were.- said Caitlin, picking up her things and left the room where we were, leaving me with Ashton and Samuel.

I knew this was going to go wrong, I just never thought it would cost me that much. From that day on, Caitlin never spoke to me again and whenever we passed each other in the halls of the school, it was as if we had never met. Even today, at almost twenty-five years old, I think about what my life would have been like if I had never made that bet ... Even today I think about what my life would have been like if she had been by my side, as I wished for during years. Today, I strongly believe that she was the one that got away!