Chapter 14

Mari's POV:

I stared as I literally heard my heart...shatter.  Oh, gosh, why did i make myself do this? I'm so stupid, and now i finally know. He doesn't love me back.

"Uh, hey, I was really flattered when I received your letter ... and thank you. But there's this girl I have my eyes on, and... well, I really only see you as a great friend. But you're an amazing girl, and I'm sure someday you'll find the person you were meant to be with. Signed, Adrien."

The girls read over my shoulder, and Alya, reading the fastest, gasped and covered her mouth with her hands in shock. My eyes teared up, and before anyone could say anything, I ran out of the gates, ignoring their calls and not looking back.

Sitting on a park bench, my shoulders shook as I sobbed into my hands. Tikki emerged from my bag and put a comforting paw on my shoulder.

"Marinette, it's okay! At least now you know how he feels, and you can start to get over it," She said, and I looked up at her, still crying,
"But Tikki, I can't get over him! He was the love of my life for 2 years, I can't just let go just like that!"

Sorrow filled my heart as tears flooded down my cheeks, and I knew I couldn't go back to school. It would be too embarrassing facing everyone, including Adrien. I just wanted to keel over and die.

Reaching in my pocket, I pulled out the bracelet Adrien gave me for the 15th birthday. I thought it had actually meant something, that maybe h e felt the same way I did about him. I was wrong. I was so, so wrong.

Taking off my earrings, I handed them to Tikki.
"Tikki, I- I can't do this anymore." Tikki squeaked when I put them in her small paws.
"But Marinette, you-"
"I just...I wont be able to concentrate if a villain ever came. I'd be a mess." Bowing my head,  I whispered, "I relinquish my miraculous. Find someone better for it then me."
Tikki was silent for a moment, and I gratefully thought she'd left, before I heard a scream, and opening my eyes, I watched in horror as ad black thing wriggled itself inside my bracelet. I yelled, crumpling to the floor as an unbearable pain lanced through my bones. Wriggling around, I heard a deep voice, and realised just how serious this was.

"Marinette Dupain-Cheng, you are now Cupida."
"No, no you can't do this to me! I won't let you!" Struggling against the will that was pushing me to the edge of my sanity, the pain was too much, and I tumbled off the cliff. Immediately, I was still on the floor, and then stood up. Black goo enveloped me, and I felt myself morph into a truly horrifying being.

Heh. This was going to be fun.