22 - Last Day

Last Chapter before the epilogue sdjhjhsjdshjdhsjh I'm excited to bring this book to a close. It's a little shorter than my usual, but I didn't think I'd need to prolong it. It's a bittersweet ending, I suppose.

If you enjoy my writing check out 'Summer Anarchy' on my account. Further details at the end of the chapter :P

***

Izuku's P.O.V

It was 3-A's last day here and to say I was excited would be a major understatement. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't hate them. I never really hated them per se (well excluding Todoroki and Yaoyorozu before the whole Never Have I Ever fiasco), but there was lingering resentment. They cut ties with me after the first face-time, and despite my attempts to keep the communication going, I was shut off at all corners. So no, I didn't hate them. But I did resent them.

And that bitterness hasn't left. Call it petty, but realistically, if it weren't for this impromptu visit, they never would have remembered me. No one apologised for their behaviour nor did they question my hostility, simply bagging it with my 'change in character'. Actually, Todoroki did apologise, though the conversation was awkward, I appreciated the effort. He acknowledged he was in the wrong regardless of the situation and that his own immaturity led to our break up.

He brought it up randomly too, a few days after the party.

*

"Excuse me," he tapped on Atlas's shoulder. The boy looked to him, eyes narrowed hesitantly.

"Do you mind if I speak with Midoriya privately for a few minutes?"

"Why aren't you asking me? You are aware that I am my own person, right?" I couldn't help but snark, tightening my hold on Atlas's waist.

Todoroki looked me, "I am. I just felt that your boyfriend would be more comfortable if I acknowledged him as well. I promise I have no ill intentions, but I do need to talk with you."

Atlas looked to me questioningly, but I reassuringly nodded my head and left with Todoroki. It wasn't awkward as we made our way to the backyard. Everyone was inside, so it was private enough.

"What is it?" I asked, a little abrasively. Sue me, I was still upset over the whole cheating thing, even if it wasn't as ill-intentioned as I perceived.

"I wanted to apologise."

"Todoroki is this is-"

"-no," he cut me off, "I'm not here because I expect you to forgive me, but I do need to apologise. When Yaoyorosu threatened me, I was scared and didn't think rationally about the situation, hence I chose the wrong route. Still," he added, seeing as I was about to rebuttal, "that doesn't make my actions okay. It was my choice to listen to her and not talk to you about it and it was my choice to not elaborate the second you found out. It was also my choice to cut contact with you instead of trying to reach out and make amends. For that, I apologise," he paused, and Izuku stayed quiet, seeing as he had something else to say.

"Also I'm happy for you," he finally decided on, and I had to keep from guffawing because that was not what I expected.

"It may sound a little weird, coming from you ex-partner. But you seem to be very happy with Atlas and it's different from when you were with me," he says that last part a little solemnly, and if Izuku wasn't so good at reading faces, he probably wouldn't have noticed.

He shakes his head and bows, "thank you for hearing me out."

And then without another word, he leaves. I stand still for a few seconds, a little dumbfounded, before snapping out of it and walking back. Todoroki talking with Shinso, his posture a little slackened, his shoulders less tense then he's seen since they came. That must've been something he wanted to get off his chest for a while.

When I walk back to Atlas and he asks me what it was all about, my chest feels lighter when I say 'closure.'

*

So yeah. I really don't hate 3-A, but aside from Todoroki, no one really apologised or acknowledged anything. We fell into an acquaintanceship, the Fallen Sins and half of 3-A. Sometimes Mina and Denki would join me and my friends on our more legal friendly escapades, sometimes we'd watch a movie as a whole. Yaoyorozu never really came out of her room, not that I was complaining of anything.

"They're leaving," Bella sighed, "I feel weirdly indifferent."

I shrugged, "same. I'm not upset, but I'm not as excited as I thought I'd be."

Kirishima is the first one barreling down the stairs with his suitcase in hand, Bakugo in tow. He's smiling giddily.

"Thank you for letting us stay, Mido-bro," he reaches to hug me but stops just before we make contact.

"And thank you for getting Kats and me together," he adds instead, before walking over to where a large bus waits for them.

Bakugo only nods, which Izuku returns, before following in tow. Soon everyone is following, all exchanging their good-byes. People steer clear of Yaomomo and the smugness that builds in my chest is inevitable. Be a bitch, suffer alone in thou bitchiness.

Lowkey want to get that tattooed.

We wave them off as they board the bus, the second they're out of sight we all practically slump against the wooden floor.

"That was an interesting trip," Xanny mumbles.

"Never again," Stella mutters, and we all agree.

Interesting sure, but never again.

Let bygones be bygones, we don't need anything more.

***

Uraraka's P.O.V

As we board the plane, everyone has the same thought swimming in their mind.

'Was this the end of our relationship with Midoriya?'

Surprisingly, it's Kirishima who makes an announcement. Being apart of U.A's finest, they reserved first-class for us 12 (students + Aizawa), so we weren't bothering anyone on the plane.

"I know what you're all thinking, and it's probably true," his voice is happy, "but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Mido has changed, and so have we. It's just growing up. This doesn't mean we'll never see him again, but it's been two years."

"We're the ones who forgot about him," Bakugo gruffs from behind him, "so I don't get why you're all acting so pathetic. If it wasn't for the goddamned trip, we wouldn't have even remembered his fucking name."

It's, surprisingly, Todoroki who closes everything off, "and it's not like you apologised for ignoring him either. We have no right trying to shove ourselves back into his life for our own sake. I'm content where I left things."

Everyone is quiet after that.

They're right, obviously.

So maybe this way the end of Midoriya, but it wasn't the end for us. Maybe one day we'll see him, a hero on the charts. Or just pass by on the market when if he ever visits Japan. He might have a kid, might be married, but it'd be fine.

"Midoirya is happy," I find myself saying, "and so were we. So are we. Change is inevitable, we can just grow from here on out."

There are murmurs of agreement, and that is the last the conversation is eve brought up ever again.

***

Third Person P.O.V

Izuku feels oddly...relaxed a few hours after everyone leaves. Like a string that had been tying him down was finally cut off. He snuggles into his boyfriend, tightening his hold and breathing softly.

He's happy.