Opportunities

Chapter 9

After the ninja had met up with Wu and told him about the situation, Zane may have found answers to what The Overlord is looking for, but no one knows how he came back or what evil he wants to cause. He is searching for missing parts in a long, lost and abandoned river land called Ayotha Amirtha Gangai. Now, the ninja are traveling over lands to get to that place and stop The Overlord from getting what he wants.

"Should we tell them at some point?" Cole asked Zane referring to their relationship. "I mean... Nya and Lloyd knew about me liking you..." He said as he rubbed his arm nervously.

"I think it's safe to tell them." Zane smiled, "but not yet."

Cole nodded as he smiled. "Yeah, I get why we shouldn't tell them yet. I mean, you know how they are." He joked and laughed a bit, making Zane chuckle.

Cole laid his head on Zane's shoulder, making him blush a bit. He looked at him and tilted his head.

"Are you doing okay? You know, after that Overlord incident..."

Zane thought for a moment, but nodded slightly. "I am fine. I'm mainly worried about Pixal, though. I heard The Overlord damaged her..." He sighed.

"She'll be okay." Cole reassured and grabbed Zane's hand, holding it tightly. Zane smiled and held it back, laying his head gently on Cole's.

"I have a question." Zane started.

Cole blinked a few times in confusion, but spoke. "You aren't the one that usually asks questions." He told him as he rubbed his hand with his thumb softly, looking down at their hands. "What is it?"

Zane lifted his head off of Cole's and looked at him. "When did you start falling for me?"

Cole paused for a moment as his thoughts nearly flew out of his mind. He looked down a bit thinking of all the moments of the past and all of the emotion he had felt towards the others and Zane. He held Zane's hand tighter, lifting his head off of Zane's shoulder.

"Since the beginning..." Cole finally admitted, making Zane raise his eyebrows in surprise.

"The beginning?" He asked to confirm Cole's answer.

"Yeah, I started falling for you when we all thought you were just human. I didn't realize it until after we all discovered the truth about you. L-Like I said, that's when I realized it. I-I think I started to fall for you... Ever since I just... Happened to lay my eyes on you..." Cole fiddled with their hands, trying to form his words together. "I knew that there was something special about you and I have come to realize at one point, that we are all special in our own ways..." Cole explained to him as he looked at him, smiling softly with faded pink highlights along his cheeks.

Zane blinked a few times, looking away shyly. He had his metal skin activated, since he can't keep a specific form up for so long that it'll end up messing his system. (Like how he was glitching when he turned into Clutch Powers in Season 11, but that's probably because he was nervous. And he does prefer his metal skin.) Just by Zane's facial expression, Cole could see he was a bit flustered, which made him chuckle, but then start to wonder.

"When did you start liking me?" Cole asked him as he rubbed the back of his own neck nervously, looking away.

Zane thought for a moment, looking back at Cole. "Well, it's complicated." He stated. "I guess it was after I rebuilt myself and you came to aquire me from Chen's Island. After I had rebuilt myself, I felt different, not only by physical appearance, but mentally. It's hard to explain and I'm not sure if you understand."

"Of course I do." Cole smiled at him as he placed his hand on Zane's cheek, making his face heat up. "Even if I don't understand, I'll at least try to learn something."

Zane smiled sweetly, finding the touch from Cole. He continued, "After defeating The Overlord and rebuilding myself, I felt some type of connection, understanding my emotions more." He sighed as his smile faded. "I began to wonder to search for you and the others, but Ronin had caught me and sold me to Chen and I had very little hope." He looked into Cole's eyes as he smiled slightly, "But when you found me, that made me feel... stronger in some way. You've always had a strong heart and had always been my best friend and now, we are more than that."

Cole smiled at Zane's words, listening to his story. He understood Zane and that's what he loved. He usually wasn't the one to understand him, but he felt more connected with him as he began to understand him.

"I understand. When you found out that you're a nindroid, it kind of made you lost. I understand that because when I became a ghost, I too, felt lost." Cole told him as he removed his hand from his cheek. "I couldn't feel anything... But when I turned back into human, it's like, my soul felt stronger and it felt like a new life form! If... that makes sense..."

"It does to me." Zane told him, Cole smiling in response.

Zane took a moment to process his thoughts as he stared into Cole's eyes. He perked up when he felt his face heat up, then quickly looked away.

"Is something wrong?" Cole asked as his smile faded a bit, tilting his head.

"No, of course not." Zane reassured as he looked back at Cole. "Let me just-" He gently tapped his own chest, his metal skin turning to his pale skin. Cole flinched a bit, but relaxed, even more confused then before.

"Can I-" Zane started, but got interrupted by quiet knocking from the door, alerting the both of them while Cole quickly let go of Zane's hand.

"Uhhh, come in!" Cole called out, the door opening.

Lloyd walked in, perking up as he noticed Zane and Cole sitting very close next to each other. He walked up to them.

"We are here at the river." He told them. "Get ready to scavage and possibly fight."

They both nodded as they got up, Lloyd turning around and exiting the room.

Cole sighed a bit, making Zane tilt his head at him in confusion.

"I detect frustration from you. Is something wrong?"

"No, I just. Well..." Cole huffed as he crossed his arms. "I'm worried..."

Zane grabbed Cole's hands, turning his body towards him. He smiled at Cole and leaned in kissing his forehead softly then pulling away from him.

"As long as we stick together, everything should be okay." Zane told him as he smiled, letting go of his hands.

Cole's eyes widened a bit as his face turned red. He couldn't help, but smile like a dork as he chuckled.

"Let's do this, together."

End of Chapter 9