Chapter 18: Training the recruits

The next day Col

The next day Col. Phillips got the recruits up at the crack of dawn and because Peggy and I were to supervise them at all times, we had to be up with them.

Both Peggy and I walked out of ours rooms at 5am on the dot. She still looked half a sleep and yawned as we walked out into the cool morning air.

"How earth do you not get bothered by all these early starts," she asked in between yawns.

"When you grow up on a cotton farm, it's easy. Everyone helped out and besides it was the best time to go horse riding. There was nothing better than riding out to the lake behind our property and watching the sun rise."

We walked over to where the drill sergeant already had the men doing morning push ups and my heart broke as I watched Steve. He always had problems with his asthma in the cooler weather and I could see it was bothering him as he struggled to keep up with the rest of the men.

"Rogers! Hurry up! You need to catch up to the others," the drill sergeant barked at him.

As Steve tried to quicken his pace, I saw Hodge who was in front of Steve kick his foot back hitting Steve's hand and causing him to fall.

As the drill sergeant yelled at Steve again, Peggy had to grab my arm to stop me from freezing Hodge to the spot. I looked back at her and she shook her head as if to say he's not worth it. I knew she was right and I had to appear impartial but people like Hodge really got under my skin.

They day continued in similar fashion. At every chance he got, Hodge did something to Steve to make him look incompetent.

I felt someone walk up beside me as I watched Steve struggle his way through an obstacle course, he was currently trying to climb a rope ladder. I cringed as I saw Hodge push Steve making him fall back, hanging upside down with his legs tangled in the rope.

"That Hodge is nothing but a bully," I heard Dr. Erskine say from next to me as I wrote down notes on the rest of the recruits.

"Colonel Phillips wants to pick him, doesn't he?"

I looked over at Dr. Erskine, who had removed his glasses and was rubbing the bridge of his nose as he was getting a headache. He sighed as he put his glasses back on and took my clipboard from me to look over the notes I had made.

"You seem to have good things to say about Adams, but what do you think about Rogers?," he asked looking at me and then over to Steve who was getting a hand up from recruit Adams after Hodge had made them fall face first in to the mud.

Adams was definitely my next choice after Steve, he was another one of Abraham's picks. He was taller than Steve but was definitely on the skinny side with glasses and a soft southern drawl. I had spoken to him on a few occasions and found out he was from Texas and grew up on a farm as well. The only reason I was hesitant to put him forward was because he had told me that he was the sole source of income for his mother after his father had died and they had to sell the family farm. He had also told me that he used to fly to the crop duster back when they still had the farmer which made me think he was more suited for the Air Force. But I knew they wouldn't take him because of his eye sight.