Chapter One

Spring, 2009

"You have to be kidding me." Samara yelled, hitting the dashboard of her car. "We're in the middle of nowhere and this stupid car had to break down." She slapped the dashboard again and glanced at me. I was shaking with laughter. "This isn't funny, Jayla. When we die because no one ever comes down this stupid road you picked. I'm going to kill you."

I looked over at her. "But won't I be dead already? So what's the point of killing me again?"

Samara glared at me then looked out the window. "Look the sun is already going down. We're going to die. Leather Face is going to come for us any minute now. This is how movies always start out, you know."

"What are you talking about?" I sighed, guessing the answer.

"Hello! I'm talking about scary movies!"

I rolled my eyes at her. "Samara, please, please, please don't start with the scary movie crap again."

Samara glared at me once more. She does that every time I don't take her seriously. "It's not crap. In scary movies, it always starts out with two pretty teen girls getting stranded in the middle of nowhere."

I had to roll my eyes at her again. "You watch way too many movies."

"Stop rolling your eyes at me." Samara glared.

"I'll stop rolling my eyes as soon as you stop glaring at me."

She sighed. "A half-crazed hillbilly is going to come and kill us."

"Why would he do that? I read the stupid book you forced me to read. What was it called again? How to Survive a Horror Movie. We aren't making out. According to that book, killers only kill people who are making out in cars. We have nothing to worry about.” I eyed her suspiciously. “Unless there’s something you want to tell me, like a crush you've been harboring for me and you have the sudden urge to kiss me."

"Please. Don't flatter yourself. If I were a lesbian, you'd be last on my list of people to make out with. And anyway hillbillies don't kill people who are making out, they kill people because they have nothing else to do and they're probably running low on meat. Just watch, any minute now a man in a truck is going to pull up and we'll be dead. Just you wait." She said a little too dramatically.

I yawned. We'd been on the road since early that morning and neither of us had slept a wink. I reclined my seat and turned on my side, facing the window. "Well, wake me up when he comes. Maybe he'll give us a ride into a town before he kills us."

"Don't go to sleep. I'll get scared by myself."

"Nothing is going to happen." I opened one eye and locked my door and rolled up my window. Just in case. I thought to myself.

"Then why are you locking your door?"

I turned to face her. "Because just in case Leather Face decides to come for us. It'll take him three seconds instead of two to kill me." I closed both eyes again, turning to face her this time.

"Shut up." Samara said, locking her door in the process. She rolled up her window as well.

The sun had completely set by now and the only light we had was the light of the almost full moon. I opened my left eye slightly and looked at Samara. She was staring at me. I sighed and closed my eye again and tried to ignore her, but I could feel her eyes burning holes into my face. I moved trying to ignore the feel of her stare. I kicked off my flip-flops and moved my right leg, tucking it under my bottom.

As the fatigue of the day took over my body I began reliving what happened two days ago, before I left for this trip. I thought about Monahan, my boyfriend, for the pass two and a half years, and how he had ended our relationship. It wasn't that I was heartbroken. It was just the fact that he had been one to break up with me. And he hadn't given me reason for breaking it off. I mean I knew things had been going downhill for the past couple of months but I thought he wanted to work things out between us. I was at a total lost. I hated not knowing all the facts.