We could be friends

"I am convinced that we could be friends. We have several interests in common, in common. And I am convinced that we have been friends,"

EIGHT HOURS UNTIL FULL MOON

I draw in the smoke from the joint relishing the scorching heat it brings to my lungs. I don't overlook the distinct smell of dirt that fills my senses. My eyes wander over the glass walls covered in rich colored flowers and unruly vines, everything appears so ethereal. The greenhouse is truly a safe haven.

It's Saturday, and as a result most of the students are at Hogsmeade. Hence why I'm being gifted the chance be out without Amos or Iris as a chaperone.

This week I've become increasingly more ill looking and they are beginning to worry that something serious is going on. My eyes are darker than before and not even my best concealer can hide the purple circles under them.

I can admit, the impossibly perfect vision, sharp reflexes and speed were intruiging at first but It's too much too soon.

Iris began to really panic when I informed her that I declined Lupin's invite to work on our essay together. It wasn't for the reason she thought (insanity) the idea just didn't sound appealing. No matter how popular or attractive.

I'm already overwhelmed enough as it is, doing potions work with an ex-friend just doesn't make any sense.

I take a few more short puffs and take out "Lycanthropy, a history" a book I nicked from the restricted section of the Library. I've devoted so much of my recent time to this old worn book. 

While its slightly outdated it gives good information on what werewolves experience and detailed descriptions on how the whole infecting others with the bite thing works.

I need to figure out exactly what happened that night. Dumbledore has not at all been fourth coming with information. He claims he only knows what I have told him, but I can see the glimmer of worry behind his eyes every time I ask.

No developments have been made about Fenrir's whereabouts and my whole body aches with terror at each new rumor about who the infected student is.

That horrid article Rita Skeeter wrote really instilled a new fear into the other students. Everyone is terrified of me and now they know it. Also, who does she think she is calling werewolves half-breeds?

I walk over to the small benches and table in the north corner of the plant filled room to take a seat in the only area with any shade. As I open the ragged book to page 555, a few pages slip out and onto the floor.

My knee's crack as I bend down to collect the pages and my hands get lightly dusted with dirt. Just as I reach out to collect the final page, the greenhouse door creaks open and I can hear the quiet shuffling of someone's feet.

I draw my wand from the waistband on my skirt and quickly stand to point it at the thief that took my few remaining hours of peace.

A seemingly equally alarmed Remus Lupin has his already raised from 20 feet away. Lowering my own, I let out a sigh of relief and run my fingers through my hair.

"Bloody fucking hell, you scared me Lupin"

He drops his as well and tucks it into his back pocket, "sorry I didn't think anyone would be here," he scratches the back of his neck,
"I can leave if yo—"

"—No" I cut him off.

He raises his eyebrows at my hastiness to keep him around.

"I mean, there's no reason for you to go," I motion around the room, "plenty of space" and give him an awkward grimace as a smile.