New flesh

"I have nightmares, I have nightmares, I have nightmares all the time. So I stay awake, so I stay awake, so I stay awake all night."

I wish my cousin Lily Evans didn't hate my guts. Currently, I'm wandering around the castle aimlessly. Dumbledore excused me from my classes and the halls are mostly empty so I decided this could be a good time to explore but, I keep thinking of her.

We'd been so close before Hogwarts our parents called us twins. It was odd because, we're nothing alike. She's unconditionally kind and and sweet like honey. I'm more bitter like dark chocolate I guess.

My black hair and crooked smile can't hold a candle to her fire red hair and blinding perfect one. Our only physical similarities are the freckles that scatter our face and even still, she has more.

Being sorted into different houses must've showed us how different we really are. So, it was only natural that we drifted. The final tear in our sister-hood had been me hexing her friend snivellus in third year.

Honestly, he deserved it and I don't regret a thing, I will not be spoken down to by a walking grease ball. He said I was "Just a less dignified mudblood than Lily."

I never told her that though.

I thought she would hate me more if I ruined two friendships for her. He called her a mudblood to her face last year, so it really didn't even matter in the end.

Its almost funny, I haven't spoken to her in years and when this horrible thing happens she's the only persons comfort I want.

How am I supposed to do this alone? I've done things alone my whole life without issue but this? Oh, merlin what will my mother say?

My self pity party is interrupted by the sounds of footsteps behind me. Flashbacks of last night start to hit me like a train.

The black lake was perfectly still as if it had frozen over. The only way to distinct it from being  solid ground is the reflection of the full moon on the surface. I sit under my favourite large tree and take in the view. Sighing in content of the quietness I lit up my joint. After a few puffs and coughs I was blitzed. I hear rustling coming from the forbidden forest so I jump up quickly and slightly back up. Even high, I'm smart enough not to follow. Until, I hear the whimpers of what sounds like a dying dog. I step away from the tree I had taken refuge under slowly, one step at a time my heartbeat thumping in my ears. Step, thump! thump!, Step, thump!thump!, Step, thum—

"Evans!" a voice shouts snapping me from my trance. The whole thing felt like being placed into someone else's body; I was experiencing everything but nothing at the same time.

I open my eyes and immediately feel a stinging in the palms of my hands. I unclench my fist to reveal crescent shape nail marks oozing crimson blood. "Shit," I breathe out.

I cant quite comprehend what's happened. I was out. I was sitting. I was smoking. I was attacked by Greyback?

That's all I remember from last night, that's all they've told me.

"Evans? Are you alright?" The voice asks again. I finally look up at the person who saved me from my own version of hell and see, Remus Lupin.

I almost melt from embarrassment, I probably looked like a complete nutter. Lupin is not only one of the most popular boys in school but someone I actually used to know quite well.

I know Lupin by ex-friendship, Potter having a small crush on Lily (in first year) gave me an Idea for a prank to pull on her. The events that transpired, left us all in a new, odd friendship.