Part 15

You felt like a punch was thrown at your stomach, the words sinking in as your hand fell from his shoulder

"No." you breathed out in realization, your head snapping up at him as he walked out of the room "No, Draco!" you called after him, your legs numb from the lack of use making it harder for you to walk. You supported your weight against the wall, taking fast but careful steps as you chased him.

He was halfway down the stairs, never turning back to look at you, only his voice reaching your ears as he took the last few steps of the stairs "Stay here, Y/N."

"No, wait." you called again, your legs getting more used to walking again as you ran down to where he was "You don't have to do this." you said, taking his arm in your hand and forcing him to look at you "Draco, please." you whispered, a silent plea laced with your words as you stared into his eyes.

He held your gaze for a moment, the small glimmer of hope inside you growing bigger as you saw the doubt in his eyes, shaky eyes staring back at you with the same intensity you held in your own; intensity that erased every trace of doubt from his eyes "I've told you already. I need to do this."

Your stomach dropped as he took your hand in his, your hold in his arm loosening as he let it fall at your side.

"No, you don't!" you cried from where you stood, not being able to go after him any longer.

"I've made up my mind." he said as he turned on his heel, fire burning inside his eyes as he took the steps separating the two of you. It was an instinct of you to step back, not even noticing you did until he stopped. He opened his mouth, no words leaving his lips as he turned to his side, he let out a heavy sigh, eyes scrunched close as you stood there expectant.

"I have to do this. For me, for us." he said pointing at between the two of you, his voice rising as every word left his mouth "I want us to have a life, a chance. She's the only thing standing in the way!" he ended up yelling, the desperation in his voice making all the feelings in your chest boil.

"You don't even know where she is!" you reminded him, pointing to the door with a questioning look.

He scoffed, fully turning away from you "I'll think of something, I have ways to find her." he muttered under his breath, his voice bitter as his back faced you.

"And then what?!" you yelled, grasping his attention immediately as you hardly raised your voice, hard grey eyes staring at you as he fought to break his void facade "What if she's not alone!? There are thousands of things that could go wrong!"

"I don't care, alright! I have to try."

You scoffed lowly "You're doing it again." you said clearly, crossing your arms over your chest as you leaned against the wall in defeat "You're leaving."

His head snapped at you, his lips pursed as he pointed at you "This is different." he fought, bitter words he didn't catch making him more exasperated "It is!"

"How is it any different?! Huh?" you asked him "Let me guess, this time you're letting me know." your words were mixed with a hint of sarcasm, something he knew you did when you were hurt and didn't want it to show. He was ready to answer you back, to tell you he was doing it no matter what but you beat him at it, your words knocking the air out of his lungs as soon as he heard them leave your mouth "But you know what, Draco? This time there is the actual chance that you don't come back! Did it even cross your mind?" you asked, your voice breaking at the question, looking for his eyes and finding nothing.

He stayed silent, holding your gaze as a tear ran down your cheek. He wanted nothing more than to go next to you and wipe it clean, but he knew you wouldn't let him touch you, not now. So he stayed frozen, looking at you and the pain radiating from you. You were hugging yourself, the hoodie he gave you not enough to cover you from the cold weather that had settled in the house as dark clouds rolled outside in the sky. He just wanted to hold you.