Part 14

How could you be so at peace when you had been tortured and nearly killed not three days ago? How could you have found a little family in the kid you were tutoring, his grandmother and the love of your life?

You had arrived at that conclusion the same night you were first brought to the home of Andromeda Tonks. You didn't see yourself loving someone the way you love Draco Malfoy.

It was easy to tell. You had cursed him inside of your head for months, promising that if he ever dared to show his face again at your door you would scream and tell him every single thing that crossed your mind when you woke up alone that morning. You would have told him about his cold side of the bed, the clothes with his faded scent that rested in every single room of the house, you would have told him about how you couldn't bring yourself to use the mug you had gifted him. It was all planned out in your head. You never thought that with just a second of looking at his worried eyes as his trembling hands reached out for you would make all the anger melt letting your true feelings come to the light. He had hurt you and you hid behind anger because it was the easiest thing to do, when truly you couldn't stay mad at him. You had already forgiven him by the time you passed out again.

Days later, you still were in bed on Andromeda's orders. Draco had told you she rejected the healer Hermione sent for you, arguing with the younger witch that if someone was taking care of you it was her. In the end she won the argument and you now had a personal healer, with a little apprentice by her side. They had refused to let you even set foot on the floor of the room, claiming you needed rest and walking would only weaken your state.

"Do you feel better now, Y/N? " asked Teddy, sitting cross legged across from you. He took small bites of his plate, keeping you company and protecting you just like he had promised Draco.

"I do, " you smiled at him, throwing a grape his way which he gracefully catched with a proud smile "Thanks to you and Dro..."

"And Draco!" he added before you could finish, earning a laugh as you nodded.

"Exactly, the three of you have helped me so much I will be back on my feet in no time."

You poked his nose, expecting to hear him giggle or respond but finding his eyes low and lost in the plate before him.

"Teddy?" you called worried, moving the tray as he lifted his face. "What is it?"

His eyes shone with unshed tears as he asked you in a tiny voice "Are you leaving soon, then? When you get better, you'll return to your home?"

Your heart broke inside your chest, the pieces piercing right through your skin as you looked at him. Brown eyes reflected a small fraction of the sadness they had when he spoke of his parents, the only thing he had from them being pictures and the stories from his relatives' mouths. You couldn't imagine how he must be feeling thinking you would leave him too, your arms open for him before you could give more thought to it.

He crawled the short space between you, hugging your neck as he rested his head on your shoulder, the soft sniffing of his nose making you lift your hand as you softly rubbed his back.

"I'm not leaving, Teddy." you assured him "I'm staying here with you and Draco, because I love you both. And if we leave I'll make sure we visit you eight days a week. Okay?"

He giggled, pushing away from you with a smile "The week only has seven days." he said to you.

You rolled your eyes playfully, watching as his hair returned to his normal sand color from the greyish tone it had taken "Oh my, we'll have to add another day to the week then."

You kept on playing with him assuring him you would be there and trying to cheer him up, completely oblivious to the man standing just outside the door, listening to every word that came out of your mouth with a smile of his own. He shook his head when he realized he had been standing there for far too long, the coffee in his mug cold now that he entered the room.