𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞

Y/N POV

Y/N POV

( edit : this was my first book and was written in 2021 so pls understand this was my humour and my taste at the time. i understand if you don't agree with it now, as i don't either, but pls be aware of this fact when you're commenting. thank you )

One minute I'm clean, the next, a thick but light coat of material covers my tongue. I blink several times before realising what happened - I had face-planted into the floor. Twisting myself around, I look up to see a boy laying on top of me, his face written with confusion.

I'm silent for a moment, before I finally utter, "Watch where you're going. It's not that hard to keep an eye on your surroundings and make sure you don't run into anyone."

The boy glances at me guiltily. The first thing I see is black, spiky hair, and deep brown eyes gleaming with an emotion that you don't see in many people. "Sorry! Sorry!" he repeats. "Umm ... I'll pay for that sandwich." His eyes focus on the lettuce sandwich lying forlornly on the floor. 

"Thanks," I grumble, easily sliding myself out from underneath his body. I pick up my heavily coated dirt sandwich and toss it to some birds. The boy stands up as well, wiping dust from off his clothing. I do the same until the both of us look half presentable.

He motions for me to follow him. I do, and he buys me a sandwich. I nod my head in thanks, and I'm about to walk away, when the boy wraps his hand around my wrist, slowing me to a stop. I whip around to face him, when I see a small smile on his face. 

"I'm Gon! What about you?" 

I look at him in confusion, before hesitantly saying, "Y/N." 

"Cool!" He grins, and I somehow feel comforted. Weird. I'm twelve, you?"

"Weird question to ask, but same."

"Wait, really?" 

"Yeah. Why do you sound so surprised?"

"It's such a random coincidence! Anyways, do you live around here?"

I shake my head. "I'm homeless."

Gon raises an eyebrow. "You don't look homeless." His eyes widen. "Wait, I'm sorry! I didn't mean it like that!"

I laugh a little. "It's okay. It was my choice to be homeless, so I don't take offense to that. But why did you want to know?"

"I was just wondering," Gon shrugs. "Say, you have anything you're doing this week?"

I purse my lips. "I'm homeless. Take a guess." 

"Oh, okay. Well, want to come to the Hunter Exam with us? I'm going right now!" 

I crease my brow, confused. "What's that? And who's us?" 

The boy . . . no, Gon, looks at me in disbelief. "You mean you don't know what the Hunter Exam is?"