Chapter 9

"Well? How was the gathering?" Reedshine asked Mapleshade as she returned with the other cats to camp. There weren't any visible wounds or scratches on any of them which was a good sign, Reedshine could see they all seemed weary though. Mapleshade started "Well..."

The Riverclan cats walked over to where Windclan was already settled, Thaunderclan along with Shadowclan were already settled at the other side of four-trees. "Now that everyone is here" Oakstar said "We can finally discuss Mapleshade's trickery." Darkstar quickly corrected him. "You mean Appledusk's trickery" she said, earning nods from Windclan and the rest of Riverclan. "Appledusk has tricked no one" A rogue among the Thunderclan cats stated "He has only done what is necessary after Riverclan threw him out and believed that fox-heart's words" they said glaring at Mapleshade. Darkstar sighed "Oakstar, has Thunderclan really swooped so low as to trust rouges." "I understand your's and Riverclan's struggle to claim sunningrocks ,but, I never expected Thunderclan to swoop this low" Greenstar added. Halfstar hissed, "YOU'RE one to talk Greenstar." The cats below in the clearing were hissing and spitting at each other, pelts prickling with anger. "Shut up! Shut up all of you. Look what you've done!" Greenstar hissed at them, flicking her tail up to the moon. Clouds had been slowly creeping over as the cats argued and were now covering the moon. "Well then. I guess it's time we go." Darkstar mewed bitterly, being the first one to leap off the great rock. "Good luck. You'll need it" Oakstar growled at the cat. Halfstar headed after Oakstar and glared at Greenstar who glared right back at him as she followed Darkstar. Slowly the cats in the clearing split into different sides, each going into one of two sides, towards the forest or towards the river.

"Whoah." Reedshine couldn't believe what she'd just heard. She'd heard of the stories of the clouds covering the moon but she'd never experienced it in her lifetime. "Let all cats old enough to swim gather and hear my words!" Darkstar yowled at the cats in camp. "I want patrols to double and any mentors to hurry up your apprentice's training, any cat who doesn't go on patrol must stay alert and protect camp. Do we have any volunteers to go on these patrols?" Immediately a pawful of cats started to offer themselves to go on these patrols. Reedshine was glad she wasn't going to be part of this war but she worried for her fellow warriors. "I can come" Mapleshade offered. Darkstar shook her head, "No Mapleshade. This war may have been started by you and Appledusk but we're going to finish it. You have to stay in camp, it's too dangerous for you to go out." "What?" Mapleshade sounded offended, "I can fight! I know Thunderclan better than anyone here." Darkstar leapt off the wet rock and approached Mapleshade, towering over her. "You will not leave camp. You are to stay here. If you are killed they win and Riverclan refuses to lose. Do not question my orders" Darkstar's tone was stern but Reedshine could sense the anxiety in her voice, as if she doubted they'd win. Mapleshade either didn't detect it or didn't react to it, she dipped her head and nodded, "Yes Darkstar." Darkstar turned and went to organize patrols with Splashfoot. Mapleshade walked over to the nursery, she seemed mad. "Mapleshade, wait" Reedshine called, running after her. Mapleshade sighed "I don't understand why Darkstar won't let me go on patrols! After all, it is my fault the clans are a war." 'No, it's not' Reedshine thought "I can think of plenty of reasons it isn't your fault." Mapleshade sat down in front of the nursery and looked at her expectantly "Name 5, and I'll believe you." Reedshine smiled, sitting down "Ok then" Reedshine took a deep breath, "You were protecting your kits, you're not the one who exiled Appledusk, it's not your fault he lied about loving you, and you're so selfless, you were willing to be a rogue as long as your kits were safe." Mapleshade looked impressed, and something else too, "Wait but that's only four! Aha." She said, catching herself again. "And you're the most amazing and kind cat in the whole forest" Reedshine said, touching noses with Mapleshade. Mapleshade froze but Reedshine could sense her ease the tension in her muscles. Reedshine hadn't felt this warmth for a long time. "I'm afraid that title belongs to you" Mapleshade purred back. "Wait do we have two moms now?" Petal kit asked in a I-just-woke-up voice, Larchkit and Patchkit watching with her. Petalkit looked excited and she was beaming, Larchkit just looked confused, and Patchkit had an unreadable expression but it didn't seem good. Mapleshade and Reedshine pulled away from each other, each looking embarrassed, "Don't be stupid Patch'kit! Two she-cats can't be mates!" Larchkit pawed his sister before either of the grown cats could answer. "They can" Mapleshade told the two arguing kits as she separated them, "But- we're not mates" she added quickly. Reedshine nodded but she could feel a little bit of disappointment from hearing that. 'Why though? Appledusk is my mate not Mapleshade. She probably doesn't even feel this way. What way? It's not as if I like her.' Commotion outside broke Reedshine off from her confusing thoughts. "Stay with them please" Mapleshade told Reedshine, flicking her ear towards her kits. Reedshine nodded, "Be careful please." Reedshine flinched forward to touch noses with Mapleshade again but caught herself and just smiled, going over to the kits. Mapleshade left to see what the commotion was as Reedshine settled with the kits. "Sooo you definitely like Mapleshade right?" Petalkit said with a mischievous smile. Reedshine stammered, "W-what n-no where are you getting that idea from" Larchkit came over and cuffed his sister's ear, "They already said no stop pushing it" "I did not!" "Did too" they started to argue again and Reedshine sighed, a little tired of their rivalry. "Kits have a lot of imagination don't they?" A voice said from outside, as a dark figure entered the nursery. "Ohhh when I was a kit I used to fight any leaves that came near the nursery!" another voice said energetically from behind the first cat. "Hello Blackwing and Sparkpaw." Reedshine smiled at the cats. Petalkit and Larchkit bounced over to Sparkpaw, "Watcha got there?" Petalkit asked, pointing to some herbs Sparkpaw was carrying. "Darkstar told us to go to the nursery because it's more sheltered than our den, and take care of Reedshine since she's due to kit soon" Blackwing answered for the apprentice. Sparkpaw put down the herbs in the corner, "Hey why don't I show you the art of catching prey?" Sparkpaw asked the kits who all nodded excitedly. He took them to a far corner of the nursery, even Patchkit followed curiously, and started to show them how to do a hunter's crouch, using a leaf as an example. "What was happening outside?" Reedshine asked the medicine cat who laid down, tucking in their paws neatly. 'And is Mapleshade alright?' her thoughts echoed. "A Windclan warrior came and said Thunderclan and Shadowclan attacked the camp. Mapleshade went with other warriors to help" Blackwing said calmly. "Wha- But- She's not allowed to leave camp!" Reedshine was dumbfounded, Blackwing shrugged. "No one could stop her so they let her come along. Don't worry, Darkstar went to lead a patrol so she doesn't know." Blackwing offered Reedshine some herbs, "Thyme. It'll calm you down." Reedshine sighed and took the thyme. 'Starclan help Mapleshade. She'll need it'