Merlin FanFic -- Magic restored --

Chapter 27 –

        It had been almost a week since Arthur had announced magic would be allowed back into the kingdom and Merlin found that he was busier than ever. He was still making sure that Arthur wasn’t being an idiot and kill himself when getting dressed as well as looking after his children and being on the council. The council had met every day since magic was announced and it had lasted for hours due to debate. Merlin had found this quite tiresome as the council seemed to be arguing over the same things, that magic was bad, that it had killed Arthur’s mother, it could not be trusted. The council men were old and set in their ways thanks to Uther and he knew that it would take a long time before Albion flourished. Also Merlin had noticed that the meetings had taken their toll on Arthur as he looked exhausted and uncomfortable especially when they talked about his mother’s death. It was hard for Merlin watch Arthur suffer and not be able to do anything but he knew that magic could not fix this pain. The council men had also stayed clear of Merlin after learning that he had magic and treated him as if he was a monster.

“But your majesty! You cannot seriously allow magic back into Camelot! Think about what your father would say!” A council man gasped during one of the many meetings. Arthur sighed and tried not to roll his eyes, he had heard this link over and over and he hated how they compared him to his father and how they wanted the old ways back. Arthur knew that he couldn’t go back to the old ways of Camelot and things had to change but he wished that the council wouldn’t be so against him. They had even accused Merlin of putting a spell on Arthur to make him bring back magic, Arthur had snorted at the idea and felt sorry for Merlin and watched him fidget in his seat. Arthur knew that Merlin was trying hard to get along with the council men and win them over but he could also see that Merlin wanted to yell at them.
“My father is gone council man and I am now king. It is time for change in Camelot and I think magic will bring harmony to Camelot. It is going to take a while for us to get these laws right and with your help I know we can get them right. You’re going to have to accept that this is happening, if not you are free to leave the council and live normal lives in Camelot.” Arthur knew that the threat of leaving their comfortable lives in the palace and having everything handed to them would work. They all stuttered and then changed to how they may be able to give some advice on how magic could be introduced slowly. Arthur glanced at Merlin and smiled a smug smile and Merlin grinned back and then turned and launch into how magic works and how magic came in different forms. Arthur watched Merlin speak and was awed at how passionate he was about magic and he knew that he had made the right choice and with Merlin’s help they could bring harmony to Camelot. But in the back of his mind Arthur was still worried that black magic would try and take over and cause havoc and disruption to Camelot.
“Arthur?” He was snapped back to reality by Merlin calling his name.
“Yes Merlin?” Merlin cleared his throat and gave Merlin a worried look before addressing the council.
“I think that we should encourage those who want to practice magic and who are born with magic to sign a register and that way we can keep an eye on them and what they are practicing and maybe even help them with their practice.” Arthur sighed.
“I had already made that suggestion Merlin.”
“How are we going to encourage people to sign the register?” A council man asked.
“That’s easy. I will sign the register first and practice magic in the open to show the people of Camelot that they have nothing to be afraid of.” Arthur smiled. Of course Merlin would be the first to put himself foreword if it was going to help the people of Camelot. The councilman then burst into whispers between themselves and Merlin looked uneasy towards Arthur. Arthur hoped that Merlin could persuade the councilmen. After much whispering, Arthur had grown tired and cleared his throat loudly.
“Gentlemen, have we come to an agreement?” They glanced between each other before a councilman stood and addressed Arthur.
“Your majesty, I think I speak on behalf of all the other members of the council. We agree that we could give this idea a trial and we can how it goes.” Arthur smiled and nodded to the councilman and watched as he sat down. He wanted to grin like a fool as this is what he had hoped for. Glancing to his side, Arthur could see that Merlin was grinning and couldn’t contain it. Arthur decided that they had done enough discussion for one day and closed down the meeting and asked a councilman to go and start the official register for Camelot.

“Come on you can do it.” Merlin encouraged Isolde, they were outside in the courtyard with Tristan practicing their magic.
“But daddy, I thought we weren’t allowed to practice magic where people can see us.” Isolde looked scared and Merlin couldn’t blame her, he had taught them since they could practice magic to keep it hidden and now he was telling them he could practice in the open. Merlin crouched in front of Isolde and took her hands in his and looked between her and Tristan.
“I know I have always told you to practice magic in secret but Arthur now knows about our magic and he is okay with it. He is allowing Camelot to practice magic again, we are okay to practice in the open now.” Isolde still didn’t look convinced. Merlin knew he would have to try another tactic in order to get Isolde and Tristan to trust him and use their magic freely. Merlin stood up and stepped back from his children and smiled.
“Let me show you.” He felt the rush of magic flow through his veins and the familiar excitement he always got when he practiced his magic. The magic flowed through his fingertips and he manipulated rope from a nearby stall to fly into the air and make different shapes. He created a horse for Isolde who started to giggle when he made it dance, then created a dragon for Tristan shouted with excitement before allowing the rope to drop to the ground. He then used the smoke from a nearby fire to create more animals for his children to enjoy. Soon Merlin had forgotten that he was out in the open and kept on making more elaborate magic for his children to enjoy. Before he knew it they were joining in and were creating their own shapes with the smoke. They were having so much fun that Merlin hadn’t noticed the crowd that was gathering around them. The crowd were whispering between themselves and causing a stir. Merlin only realised the crowd when he heard Arthur’s children laughing. He stopped and looked across to see them laughing standing next to Gwen and Arthur who were both smiling. Merlin grinned but then stopped when he turned around and saw the crowd that had gathered and suddenly felt very embarrassed and under pressure. Isolde and Tristan ran to his side and wrapped their arms around his legs in comfort. They had not seen such a large crowd before so they felt very vulnerable. Merlin wasn’t sure what to do but his fears were put to rest when he felt Arthur by his side. Arthur put his arm around Merlin grinning.
“People of Camelot, here is the best show of what good magic can do. Merlin was born with magic and it shows how it has aided him in pleasing his children and making them happy. This shows how it can be a benefit to us all, we can use for good things such as entertaining our children and making them happy. We can use it a defence from enemies to protect ourselves and we can use to help us all in our everyday lives. This is why I have brought magic back to Camelot, to bring happiness and harmony to Camelot and I hope that you will all share my vision. Merlin will be the first person to sign the official register of magic users. He will also lead ln the council about magic and will take the lead in magic business. Those who want to practice magic will be free to practice their magic as long as they sign the register and Merlin will always be available to give advice to those who need it. I hope this has shown you what we can achieve with good magic.” Merlin had never felt more proud to be standing next to Arthur and he was glad he was king. He knew that things were going to look up and going to be for the better. He just hoped that nothing was going to destroy what he had worked towards for so long and no bad magic would try and harm Arthur or the kingdom.