[fourteen]

Late July approached the tense group, and each boy was preparing for the new school year ahead

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Late July approached the tense group, and each boy was preparing for the new school year ahead.

Donghyuck would be lying if he said the accomplishment of getting into the same college as Renjun and Jaemin hadn't left a nasty sting as he thought of a certain boy not being there with him.

His mind had been all over the place as he sorted through the unhealthy thoughts of what went down over the summer break.

It had all left a dull ache within the boy's heart. The mere mention of Mark's name was upsetting to him for he was still no wiser as to what had possessed his ex-boyfriend and why he had been verbally attacked with no fair reasoning.

They hadn't spoken in a few weeks, and instead, Renjun had decided to move into the apartment that Mark had left in order to keep a close eye on his best friend.

"I don't want him anywhere near him," Renjun replied as he stood at the door with Jeno. "And I don't think he wants to talk with Mark either."

Jeno sighed frustratedly as he begged with Renjun to work with him, but the older didn't seem sold on the idea of reuniting the ex-lovers.

"You don't understand, Jun. Mark is leaving for his flight to Canada in," the taller glanced at his watch and sighed slightly before flicking his gaze back to an unimpressed Renjun. "Three hours."

"Donghyuck doesn't even know yet-"

"What don't I know?" A quiet and raw voice whispered from behind Renjun.

The eldest of the three carded his hand through his hair while weighing his options.

"Mark is going to Canada....for good."

The dumbstruck expression made Renjun's heart drop as he saw the tears that began to well in the younger's eyes again.

"I told you this wasn't a good idea," he mumbled quietly, sending Jeno an evil glare as he slowly approached the shocked boy.

"N-No I want to see him," Donghyuck insisted, already retreating to his room to grab a pair of shoes and a coat, not leaving his housemate any time to protest.

"Jeno," the Chinese hissed as Hyuck disappeared from view. "Have you seen what he was like after what that asshole did to him? This will crush him if Mark is mean again."

"He won't be, okay? He feels awful, and although none of us have forgiven him for his childishness, we still have to let him do as he pleases."

~

"Mark!" Donghyuck yelled as he saw the retreating figure of his ex. "Markie."

The said boy turned on his heel, his expression softening upon seeing the desperation that shone within the other's eyes.

"Hyuck," he whispered, immediately dropping his luggage and running to embrace him.

The warmth and security was something that Mark had missed. The aroma that seemed to follow the younger was one he loved, and the sensation of Donghyuck's breath fanning against his neck as he hugged him was something he may never experience again.

"Why are you leaving?" Donghyuck rushed as he pulled back, his eyes darting around the taller's body to see any form of reaction. "What's going on? Why are you leaving me?"

The whole group had been reunited for the first time in a few weeks. Jisung and Chenle stood side-by-side, them too having heard nothing of Mark's departure until now. Jaemin, Jeno and Renjun, on the other hand, watched with unreadable expressions.

"Why is he hugging Hyuck?" Renjun grumbled with crossed arms and a frown. "He lost that right when he screamed at him and then drank away the fucking guilt."

Jaemin giggled at the older's protective nature and calmed him with gentle circles on his back.

"He's leaving, Jun. Let them have a moment. Maybe he'll tell Donghyuck why he felt the need to hide all this." The shorter still didn't seem too happy about the whole situation, but still relaxed.

"I guess."

"Hyuck...you have to understand that I was angry at my mum for applying behind my back, and although it wasn't fair of me to take that out on you, at the end of the day it would be easier to leave knowing you hated me," Mark quietly explained as he looked deeply into Donghyuck's captivating coco eyes that held so much emotion.

"It was easier for you Mark," he whispered, raising his hand to hold Mark's which was cupping his cheek. "But now I think you need to live with the guilt of knowing that you broke my heart. I won't ever forgive you for your selfishness...even if that makes me just as bad as you."

"Donghyuck!" He exclaimed as the blonde retreated to stand by Renjun and Jaemin's side while the younger two approached. "Please understand."

No answer came from Donghyuck who instead pursed his lips.

The shattered feeling in his chest wouldn't just disappear. It would take a long time to mend, and he just didn't have it in him to accept the other's apology so quickly.

"Maybe sometime in the future when this heals," Donghyuck called out to the Canadian who had said his final goodbyes to everyone. "We can talk as friends and work from there."

Mark nodded dejectedly, suppressing the desperate tears that threatened to fall at any moment.

"Good luck Mark Lee."

And with that, the figure of his high school sweetheart disappeared, the possibility of never seeing him again presenting itself to Donghyuck who rested his head upon Renjun's shoulder.

"Good luck."