10

Tommy walks into the family home, a cigarette lit, taking his hat off, specific orders from aunt poll who'd got annoyed at him for wearing the house. Upon entering he sees his aunt and youngest sister stood in the kitchen.

"Are you armed?" Polly asks, "No" he answers, "then I'll tell you, Ada and Freddie Thorne were married today. They defied your orders, they haven't left the city." Polly tells him and he inhaled. "Did you know?" He asks eyes shifting to his other sister, "about the wedding? yes. Why did you tell them to leave? Why didn't I know?" Charlie questions back.

"It's not your business Char. Thomas, I'll deal with it." Polly says, handing each of them a glass of whiskey. "Where are they?" Tommy asks looking between the two woman. "Freddie's comrades have safe houses. Why do you want to know?" Polly replies, "I want to send them flowers, why do you think?" Tommy says rolling his eyes making Charlie laugh. "What's wrong with them staying Thomas?" Polly asks. "I promised I'd run Freddie out of town" Tommy replies looking into his aunts eyes. "Promised who?" Charlie asks gaze set on him, but he just looks towards the doors, which she gets up to close. "Who did you promise Tom?" Charlie asks once more. "I told the coppers Freddie wouldn't come back. It was part of the deal" Tommy sighs running a hand over his eyebrows. "What bloody deal?" Polly says flicking his forehead, but he just looks down. "Look, I'll deal with Ada and Freddie. For fucks sakes Tommy." Polly says, "you get Freddie out of town, Pol. Or else I'll deal with him myself." Tommy says finishing the drink, slamming it on the table and leaving.

-

"Aunt Poll, I'm going out. Need to get a dress for the races." Charlotte says kissing her aunts cheek, placing her gun in her holster and heading out the door, towards the dress store in town.

-

"What colour dress would you like ma'am?" The shopkeeper asks when Charlotte walks through the doors, the bells ringing to make her presence known. "What colours do you have?" Charlotte asks looking around at the dresses on display, "any colour you can dream of ma'am" the shopkeeper replies, "a purple or blue, please." Charlotte says and the lady nods, heading to the back room, retuning a few minutes later, with about 3 dresses. "There's a dressing room though there if you'd like to try them on" the small lady offers and Charlotte nods. Taking the dresses, a midnight blue, a royal blue and a deep purple.

Trying each one on, she finds that she likes the midnight blue best.

"Please could I buy this one." Charlotte says holding the dress up, "on the house." The lady replies, "no, I insist, it's a lovely dress and you've been so nice." Charlotte responds with a smile, digging into her pocket and pulling out 3 pounds. "This too much" the lady calls but Charlotte is already out the door dress in hand.

-

After a few minutes of walking, Charlotte finds herself being pressed into a wall, a cold barrel at her temple. "Fucking Shelbys." An Irish voice speaks. "I'm a Shelby, and fucking what" Charlotte replies. "We just have some questions." A deeper voice says. "Do you know who shot the paddy from the black swan?" The first voice speaks, "What fucking Paddy? I don't know what the hell you're talking about" Charlotte replies. "Perhaps not. Is it you Peaky Blinders, who stole the guns from the BSA?" The deeper voice speaks and the cold metal gets pressed harder into the side of her head. "I don't know anything about any robbery. Or any guns. So to sum it up, I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about, okay? No clue." Charlotte replies, and the two look at her skeptically. "If you're lying... it won't be pretty." One threatens dropping the gun, "my life's never been pretty, mate." Charlotte smirks, picking her bag up, and walking off.