𝟒𝟎. 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐈𝐒𝐍'𝐓 𝐘𝐎𝐔

"𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐊, 𝐈𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 any way we can meet up, please? I can't take the fact that we haven't talked," I said over the phone as I paced back and forth on the wooden dock, sweat dripping down the back of my bare neck. 

"I just found out that Sarah is going away with my..." He hesitated for a second, "Dad, and I need to talk to him," 

I threw my head back, letting out a frustrated sign that, no doubt, Rafe could hear through the phone. "Please Rafe, just for five minutes," I pleaded, worried that things were going to start falling out for us, which is what I did not want. 

"Where?" He asked sharply and my heart began to race as I stuttered out locations. 

"Uh-- um-- Bronko Lane-- no-no, Pete's Diner, the one on Northbrooke," I rambled as the line went silent. The pause was deafening, and the only thing I could hear was the soft chatter from JJ and Kie as they stared at the open sky. 

"Yeah, okay," Rafe replied after a second and a small grin wiped the worried expression off of my rosy cheeks. "I'll see you in five," He said before the line went quiet. 

Whipping around, I jogged towards the two teens, finally acknowledging them after some time. "I'm headed to Pete's dinner, I'll be back in twenty... probably," 

Both of them nodded and I took a step back, before remembering why we were meeting up here. "And if you hear from John B or Pope, call me right away,"

And with that, I walked off of the dock as JJ yelled a "Will do," in my direction. 

Big trees and tropical bushes scratched my arms and legs as I jogged down the dirt path, finding my blue jeep through the swamp of green. I pulled the keys out of my pocket and quickly unlocked my car, not wanting to waste any time. 

As I drove down the gravel road, waiting until it turned into the smooth, paved concrete from the Kook side, I felt my mind wander away from the steering wheel. 

These past couple of days have been crazy. With the interview and then finding out about John B's dad, I realized I never followed up with Rafe after he left the country club. Of course, I wanted to call him, I practically begged myself to pick up a phone just to hear his voice, but now that I was a few minutes away from seeing him, I couldn't help but be scared. 

I wanted to apologize for stealing from Barry, but at the same time, it wasn't my fault. I knew Rafe wouldn't blame me, but I didn't want him to think less of me. Just because I'm in need of money, and come from the lower-class side of the island, doesn't mean I would steal. 

But another thing that crossed my mind was the call. Where was Ward going with Sarah, and what did Rafe need to talk to him about. 

I, finally, pulled into the parking lot, my mind a complete wreck from my overthinking car trip over. Nothing could prepare me for what could happen; with John B, Pope, JJ, even Kie, but I knew that I needed to see Rafe again. 

I couldn't help it. 

I knew what he was like, and I knew what he seemed like to other people. He was two different people when he wanted to be. The only issue was, I have no clue what Rafe I was about to encounter. 

I closed my jeep door with a large slam, my hands shaking as I shoved my keys into my back pocket of my shorts. And that was it. 

I couldn't move, and I felt as if I could barely breathe. 

Standing two feet away from me was Rafe; his hair a mess and so was his salmon coloured polo. Biting my tongue, I didn't know whether to get back into my car, throw up or run towards him, but when he took the first step towards me, I knew it was the latter.