CHAPTER FIFTEEN

KADENCE PETROV

“Hmm, good morning,” I whispered into Carter’s bare chest as he stroked my back softly. 

“Morning,” Car said. He yawned and stretched his arms out. I kissed his chest lightly, running my lips against his skin. She shivered but rubbed my back encouragingly. I turned my face to his.

“I never knew you were so good at sports,” I said quietly, adding a small smile. He looked taken a back for a moment, but smiled back after a few seconds.

“Yeah, when I was a kid, my mom signed me up for a lot of sports. When she died, I kind of just stopped playing. It wasn’t because it reminded me of my mom...It just seemed weird after; I just never tried again. I’m glad I got back into it,” he said with a smile forming on his face.

“When did she die?” I asked lightly. I didn’t want him to be uncomfortable. I felt guilty for a moment. Here he was telling me things about his dead mother while I lied to him about my father. I felt like complete shit in that moment, but I hid it well, masking my face into a calm expression.

“She died when I was nine in a car accident,” he said as his smile faded. “It was a long time ago,” he added. 

“I’m sorry,” I whispered, leaning back into his chest. He kissed the top of my head and everything was silent for a moment. The only sound was the birds chirping outside.

“My dad is dead,” I blurted out. I looked up at him and he didn’t look surprised at all. He just nodded in understanding.

“I know,” he said. My mouth opened but nothing came out. How did he know? 

“How?” I whispered, looking down. I felt embarrassed, ashamed. He knew and I didn’t tell him. Carter probably thinks I don’t trust him enough with my secrets, I thought.

“Your mom told me about two weeks ago,” he said a smile. He ran his hand down my back, his fingers comforting me strangely. 

“Why didn’t you say anything?” I asked. He shrugged.

“I figured you’d tell me when you were ready. You should paint, Kade. You’re amazing at it,” he whispered.

I rose from his chest, wrapping my arms around myself protectively. He got up and wrapped himself around me. 

“You probably think I’m absolutely nuts,” I said with a laugh. My voice cracked slightly and I could tell he noticed. Carter’s eyes were serious now, his eyebrows furrowed almost angrily.

“No, I don’t. I love you Kade, and what you’re doing is just to vent. It’s not weird, it’s beautiful. I wish I could do the same with my mother,” he whispered into my ear before planting a kiss on the back of my neck. His lips felt soft and his embrace was so loving; it was one I don’t think I’d ever had with anyone before. I turned and kissed him passionately, wrapping my arms around me neck. I pulled away and climbed out of bed. It was twelve fifteen and Lily was going to pick me up in forty five minutes. 

“I gotta get ready to go, Lily’s picking me up soon. You’ll be okay with the whole Clarissa thing today?” I asked, the worry clear in my voice. I had a feeling it wouldn’t go well. 

Reluctantly, he said, “Yeah, don’t worry. It’ll be fine,” he said with a reassuring smile. I could tell it was utterly fake but I shrugged it off. “She hans’t told me what time she’s coming over yet, but I’ll let you know. I’m just going to hang out around here for now”

“Okay,” I said as I walked over to him. I kissed him lightly on the lips before climbing over into my room. 

“I’ll call you when I get to the mall!” I yelled as I closed my balcony door. I took a quick shower and put on my high waisted jean shorts and a simple pale pink, baggy, long sleeve crop top with a big pocket on the front. I didn’t bother putting to much makeup on; it was only the mall, after all. I put on some light pink eye shadow and black eye liner before slipping on my over-the-knee flat grey suede boots and heading out the door. Lily was waiting outside and I hopped into her car. She smiled at me widely before speeding away and blasting ‘I Love Rock N’ Roll’ on the radio.