18

[ERWIN]

'We were so beautiful,
We were so tragic,
No other magic,
Could ever compare.'

It ended. I've been listening to this song on loop ever since Levi sent it to me yet it stills amaze me every time. Just hearing the symphonic strings made me smile and gave me unexpected shivers down my back. It was astonishing.

I wasn't really a fan of music but these past few hours I've been searching for the right song to send back to him. I almost skipped breakfast. When I was assured the lyrics described how I felt about him, I immediately composed a message and link back.

His gentle but melodious voice filled my ears and I instantly fell for the tune. It was very carefully selected but I had no idea if Levi liked that song. I am just hoping that whenever he heard 'It's You' by Henry, I would be on his mind the entire time.

A heated exhale escaped my mouth. Glancing at the clock, it was already 9:47 am. I snatched off my earphones and went downstairs. A lively and pleasant aroma dominated the floor and I was eager to see what father had cook for breakfast. I sat down on one of the chairs at the dining room.

"Morning, father." I greeted him from behind and he spun his body around to smile at me.

"Good morning, Erwin." He said. "Sorry to make you wait. I lost track of time."

I pursed my lips. "It's alright. I was studying anyway. Here, let me help you."

"No!"

As I about to grab the pan, he slapped my hands away, making me flinched. Brows furrowed and I displayed a questioning expression. Both of us were frozen at our place.

"What was that for?"

We shared a confused look before he grinned. "Sorry, nope. I'm fine, let me do it." He gestured his head to the dining room. "You go sit down."

I rolled my eyes and obeyed his demand. Father had always been like this. He loved working alone in whatever situation he's in. "Oh, I don't need help. I'm okay." He would say things like that. We never really had a close relationship. However, ever since my mother left for another man, he swore he wanted to take the full responsibility of me. I was only six at the time, I would sit in my room and listened to them rowing for hours. That kind of thing was normal in our house.

Even at such a young age, I knew how tough divorce could get. I wanted to help my father too so I won't look like a burden. He's a hardworking gentleman and I respected him with all of my heart. It took him years to get over it.

Mother moved somewhere in Manchester, England and that was the last time I heard. Everyone said I was the spitting image of her - we had the same blue eyes. I had a dim memories with her like how she usually dressed me in a way where I looked like a professional entrepreneur or a lawyer. My face tensed. She wasn't always the best topic to talk about. Just by mentioning her built up an anxiety inside of me.

Few minutes later, father served me a plate of hot skillet and I transported back into reality. That's right. I don't need her. I have my father and that's already good enough.

He took a seat across from me, dressed in his signature uniform. I never realised how much we had in common until now. Most of our morning chats were limited to work-related topics about my father's business. I've always liked the way he gushed about the monthly sales targets and clients' orders. It made me feel inspired. From time to time, I would chime in about school too and what I'll be majoring in college.

We also discussed some other things like places that my father wanted to visit before he brought up about what had happened yesterday.

"Can't believe you brought Levi to the National Portrait Gallery instead of me." He said in a joking manner. "So, what did you guys do?"