Chapter 28

Olivia, Victor, and Lillian got out of the car outside a two-story motel

Olivia, Victor, and Lillian got out of the car outside a two-story motel. The brightly lit sign illuminated the otherwise dark parking lot while the girls waited for Victor went to get the room keys.

Coming back, Victor said, "they only had two empty rooms."

"That's okay," Olivia said. "Lillian and I can share it."

Lillian looked at Olivia and said, "Shouldn't you two be staying in one room since you are mates?"

Victor and Olivia shared a look and before Olivia could say something, Victor beat her to it.

"It is not necessary. We don't stay in the same room back home so... doesn't make a difference."

"This is a good time for you to bond," Lillian said, "but whatever."

The three of them walked to their rooms that were situated side-by-side. The room was small with minimum furniture but it was clean enough to stay for one night.

Lillian immediately jumped on the bed.

"This is so comfortable," she said before covering herself with the blanket.

Olivia smiled at her silliness. She went to the bathroom to wash her face. Looking at the old spotted mirror she noticed her worn-out face. Too much had happened in one day and the thoughts kept replaying in her mind. Using the small sink she washed her face and after wiping it down with a towel, she stepped outside the washroom. Lillian was still on the bed and was watching TV- a comedy show. It was hilarious but Olivia couldn't bring herself to laugh. So she stepped outside the room to clear her head but instead found Victor leaning against his car in the parking lot. He was staring at the screen of his phone.

He noticed her walking towards him and asked, "can't sleep or don't want to?"

He quietly slipped the phone into his pocket while she came to stand beside him.

"Can't," she answered. "I have too much on my mind. Feels like it's going to explode."

"What about you?" she asked. "Were you waiting for somebody's text?"

"No," Victor said quickly. "I don't know. Maybe."

Olivia and Victor stood leaning against the car outside the motel while Lillian dozed off in the room. The dim yellow lights reflected off of their skin as they looked at the dark path that had led to the motel.

"What are you going to do about your uncle?" he asked.

"I don't know. On one hand, I want to ask him about a lot of things, but on the other, I never want to get to know him. I am unable to decide," she said while throwing her hands in the air. "I guess I won't do anything about it for now."

Victor simply nodded, having nothing further to say.

Standing with her hands folded under her chest, Olivia introspected, and said, "Lillian is so strong. I was aware of what she had been through, but I could never understand or imagine how she could live with it.I mean, I can barely get that image out of my head, must be so much worse for her." Olivia said referring to the murder of Lillian's friend.