Chapter 20

The man ran down the narrow street, stopping only when he was in front of the small house; his home

The man ran down the narrow street, stopping only when he was in front of the small house; his home. He hurriedly stepped inside and went to the bedroom to find his mate. She was putting their daughter to sleep when he burst in through the door.

"We need to leave! He is coming to kill us!" the man said.

"Shh!" His mate whispered. "You'll wake her up." She put the baby down in the crib and the two walked out to the living room.

"Honey, we need to leave! He's going to kill you, me, and the baby if he finds us!"

"Slow down! What are you talking about?" She confusingly asked. Looking at him drenched in sweat, she further asked worriedly, "What happened? Are you alright?"

"I failed to do the job. I thought I killed the right girl. I don't know how I could make such a foolish mistake!"

"You killed someone?" she asked shockingly. "How... how could you do that?" She yelled.

"I will explain everything once we get out of here," he said. "Stay right here. I'll bring our bags and the baby."

One good thing that came from being rogues was that their bags were always packed because they moved so frequently so as to not be found. He quickly grabbed the luggage and lifted the baby out of the crib.

Suddenly he felt an ache in his heart and he knew what had happened. He turned to the living room to see Mico standing at the doorstep while his mate was on the floor with her throat slit open.

The man could physically feel the pain of his mate's death as tears started running down his eye. But for the sake of his daughter, he pulled himself together and jumped out of the window with the baby, leaving the bags behind. Mico let the man run, thinking that he will catch him one way or another.

The man hurt his foot while jumping; however, he didn't care about himself. All he had to do was to keep the baby safe. He ran through the narrow streets, dodging all obstacles in his way until he reached the house of the only person he trusted. Leaving the baby on the doorstep he rang the bell. Tears ran down his face as his heart bled in agony. He accepted his fate, no longer wanting to live in a world where his mate didn't exist. He wanted to see her one last time so ran back to his house. Just when he was turning towards the street of his house he felt the stab of the knife. Falling on the street, he bled out while looking at the house that was 10 feet away.

***

It had been a week since Olivia started living at Ethan's place. She had cleaned most of the house and made it livable. The rest of her time was occupied by schoolwork. She had been busy completing assignments, preparing for tests, looking for colleges, and finding a new place to live, simultaneously. She hated the thought of moving again but it was necessary.

She plopped down on her bed as she recorded a voice message. "Hey, Kaden, I urgently need your notes for history. It would be really helpful if you sent photos of it. Thanks, bye."