Chapter 8

I painted the above painting ☝️ 'Hills and the Sea', inspired by this story

____________________________________________________________________________

Ethan had barely been able to survive his childhood without a family. He was 5 when his clan was put to sleep. Left all alone in a scary world, he cried for days trying to wake his mother and father, up until Elliot rescued him. Elliot had been a friend to the werewolves and lived in peace with him. He would visit 'The Pure Blood' pack from time to time but on this one particular visit, he was horrified to behold the scene. The people whom he once called friends were lying asleep, not dead but as good as dead. He took little Ethan with him far away from the gruesome memories and raised him like any other human. Ethan had never turned into a wolf and couldn't, even if he tried. He thought he was cursed and his suspicions were right when one day Elliot confirmed it. Although it had been a mystery to both of them as to why Ethan was the only one who remained unaffected by the witch's spell. It had been since that day of his adolescence that he found his mission, a purpose, to bring his family back to life.

He liked Elliot but their relationship wasn't that of a family. Elliot was neither his friend nor a relative. They always remained curt towards each other and never minded the other's personal life.

Ethan's ancestors had saved Elliot's life years ago and so Elliot felt indebted to them. He took Ethan in and provided for him ever since like it was his duty.

Ethan had several babysitters, caretakers, housekeepers, and butlers over the years. When he was a child he had grown attached to his caretaker but it was short-lived. The caretaker had started noticing strange things in the house. Elliot had to get rid of her to keep his and Ethan's supernatural identity a secret. The same case followed with other humans who worked in the house but this time, Ethan knew better than to get attached to any of them. He grew distant and spent his time alone. Soon they had to move to different places because people would start noticing that Elliot had not aged at all.

Ethan had wanted friends but couldn't have any because of the constant shifting from one place to another. His only chance for friends and family was to revive his pack, no matter what it took.

So when he regained his senses a half-hour later, the first thing he did was look for her. The soil was muddy because of the rain and her footsteps showed him the direction in which she had escaped. He followed the footsteps until they vanished into the grassy land.

Olivia had been dreaming about her childhood days with her father. She sat on a swing, laughing, as her father stood behind her to give the swing a nudge. The happy memories played like a movie but even in her dreams he died and left her alone. She woke up with a start when the sun was shining directly over her in the sky. Her head felt heavy as she moved her sore body to sit. She noticed that a trench coat covered her like a blanket to keep her warm. She wore it feeling thankful but also pondering over how she got it, or who put it on her. She searched the pockets and found a receipt and a nutrition bar. She was famished, so she hungrily ate the bar within seconds.

Ethan had searched for her all night and all morning with no luck. He too had lost his sense of direction and was now hoping for some slim luck to find her. He had concluded after several stops and breaks, that he was lost. Every direction looked indistinguishable. He figured that if he walked for long enough then he was bound to run into someone.

Suddenly, he heard a distant sound and followed it. He saw a glimmer of hope when he came upon the very being that he had desired to find. He saw her desperately searching for something in the pockets of her trench coat. She found a nutrition bar and devoured it.

"Aw. I was hoping we could share it." He said, coming out of hiding.

She looked at him wide-eyed and immediately jumped on her feet, but she lacked his speed. At once he was by her side and took her captive again. He tied her hands behind her. She tried to use her magic again but could only create a faint blue spark.

Ethan backed away immediately and said, "I learn from my mistakes. And you're too tired to make any voodoo happen," he brought his lips close to her ears, "so I'd suggest you not to try it again, for your own sake."

He took her by the arm and led her to god-knows-where. They walked unceasingly to a destination that was unreachable. Olivia was tired but the thought that she wasn't alone in the scary woods made her feel better.

She needed to retain her sanity and couldn't bear with the silence anymore. "Ugh. I thought I had gotten rid of you! If it weren't for you I would've been comfortably asleep in my bed and would get to be with my friends at school right now. You bring extremely bad luck, sir."

He paid no attention to her though he was coerced into believing that they truly had lost their way.

She didn't take his silence quite well. "Hey! It's not easy being kidnapped again and again. I am frustrated and need to vent. If you can't take it then let me go." She paused. "Did you know that talking can help lighten your stress? You should really consider seeing a therapist. I don't think your behavior is healthy at all. For now, you can talk to me. I'm a good listener if I get something in return. My freedom perhaps?"

She continued talking about random subjects, and when she was out of things to say she started singing. She started with 'baby' by Justin Bieber, followed by 'who let the dogs out'. She kept repeating the same line over and over again. And when she got tired of that, she started singing 'pen pineapple apple pen'. She could see that her singing had started to irk him. Irritating him made her feel better.

She continued singing until he snapped. "Would you shut your damn mouth?! Or do I have to make you?"

"I will, only if you untie my hands. We can both agree that I can't run away anywhere in this forest and I promise that I won't try to. I can't even use magic so I'm not really a threat to you either. Just untie the rope and I'll shut up."

He looked at her for a few seconds before complying. "Ugh fine." He muttered. Like amiable adults, they came upon an agreement that benefitted them both.

"You have no idea about where we're going, do you?" She asked as he cut the ropes with a pocket knife.

"Nope, but I'm hoping we'll magically find our way."

As the sun started to set low on the horizon, they came to a clearing and saw water running down a hill. After quenching their thirst, Olivia carefully observed the hill and pointed towards a cabin on the top.

"Look! That patch of land has been cleared and there's a cabin. Someone must be living there. We could get help."

Ethan didn't want to go to the cabin but his starved state took preeminence. He followed her, as she eagerly skipped her way onto the hill, wondering what surprises were to follow during the night.

______________________________________

Don't forget to vote!

Thank you