STORY OF THE CHUBBY 13

• Αφιερωμένο στον/ην mishxaa

I have never really cared about what I wore. Never had a reason to ‘dress up’. Just grab a sweatshirt over my skinny jeans and with the Converse on my feet, I was good to go. I never really understood why Sammy thought my fashion sense was to be questioned.

Standing in front of my closet right now, I understood why. How many sweatshirts did I honestly own? I’d found a denim shirt Sammy had got for me some time before, about 3 plaid shirts, this purple lacy dress (yea, no way I was wearing that) courtesy of my dear sister and some other really colourful ‘fashionable’ tops I have no memory of buying.

Why on earth, you ask, I’m I finally interested in my closet this wonderful Monday morning? Well, I guess you already know the answer to that. If you don’t, the answer to that is a certain hazel eyed boy who goes by the name Christian Edwards. Pathetic…I know. Don’t remind me.

‘This is ridiculous,’ I mumbled to myself finally when I realized if I didn’t leave home soon I’d be late to school.

‘Screw it!’ I said, grabbing the denim shirt, a white shirt and a pair of black jeans and hurriedly changed before heading out of my room. I checked on Alex who was asleep before heading downstairs. My mum was sitting at the kitchen counter looking at the paper but looked up when I entered.

‘Good morning, Cecelia.’

‘Morning,’ I replied, pouring hot water in a cup before grabbing a teabag from a cabinet and sugar from the counter. I could feel her eyes on me as I put a slice of bread in the toaster and sip on my tea waiting for my toast. I refused to look at her.

‘Do you need a ride to school,’ she asked after a while. I didn’t want this today or any other day as a matter of fact. What was the sudden interest in me coming from?

‘No,’ I said, curtly catching my toast as it popped out of the toaster. ‘I’ve been driving myself since sophomore year. I’m good thanks.’

I still didn’t look at her as I munched on my toast and sipped my tea, desperate to get out of here already.

‘Oh, okay. Is there anything you need-‘

‘No there’s nothing I need, Mum!’ I snapped, placing my mug in the sink a little too roughly before turning to look at her. ‘Why do you suddenly care? Why are you finally showing this much interest in me?’

She looked flabbergasted at me. Obviously this was something new to her; me talking back and snapping all the time. I didn’t like it though. I wasn’t one to snap and shout all the time.

I took a calming breath before forcing out a smile, ‘Look. I didn’t mean to snap at you. I need to get to school or I’ll be late. I’ll see you in the evening, Mum.’

She nodded a sad look in her eyes for a while before she smiled too, ‘Okay.’

I’m not sure I’m ready for this yet…this display of…care. It was foreign to me. God, I hope school would at least distract me from all this drama in my life!

I slammed my locker as I walked to my next class; the last one for today. God, I couldn’t wait to go home! I know, that’s exactly what I said about school this morning but how would I have known it would suck this much!

‘I can’t wait for this period to end,’ Sammy grumbled to me as we walked to class. I guess I wasn’t the only one who had had a rough day, I thought smiling a bit.

‘That makes the two of us!’ I said as we entered class as the warning bell sounded.

‘That surprise test first of all. I so wasn’t ready for that at all and I won’t be surprised if I get a D!’ she complained as we settled into our seats. ‘And that Chuck Gray…Freaking Chuck Gray.’ She growled as she buried her face in her face.