{Chapter 12}

"What?!," Mia exclaimed.

"It was supposed to be kept a secret, none of us -Crystal,Ash,Violet,Breeze- were permitted to tell you and bla bla whatever, I'm sick of you and anyways you're of age now..although still lacking maturity and brains," her Aunt droned on as Mia paced the room.

"Are you pulling my leg?," Mia asked solemnly.

"Eww no, why would I want to pull your gross, hairy leg?," Aunt Ruby commented.

"Then why would I need adoptive parents..?," Mia sighed.

"Look here you Idiot, your pare-" at that moment the door opened and both of them looked up to see a maid enter the living room and began sweeping the littered cigarette ashes."Not the right place to chit-chat." Her Aunt eyed the maid wearily.

"Yeah..okay," Mia nodded.

"Dining, now," Aunt Ruby headed to the dining room,"oh and Ingrid, tell Meyers to fix me a lemon tea and some brownies will you?," she nodded to the maid who bowed.

A few seconds later, they were in the dining room with the door locked and the curtains shut for good measure. Muted sunlight filtered softly in the dark room giving it an eerie glow. Her Aunt sitting up on the chairs, sipping her tea while Mia sat cross-legged on the tiles.

"So I was ask-," Mia started.

"Shut it girl, I'm going to speak now," she kicked Mia on the knees and took another sip.

"Okay".

"Let's just get this shit over with," kicking off her shoes, she put her legs on the table.

"Look, you do know that we are living on earth right? Or do I have to plan a geography lesson too?".

"No, no I know we live on Earth".

"Thank god, anyways you may know scientists say that the only sign of life is on Earth,"
Mia nodded.

"They are freaking wrong that's what they are. No the only sign of life isn't on Earth. There are many other portals leading to other worlds, other worlds where people live and life exists,these portals are well hidden and only the members of that particular world know how to open up portals to enter or exit their world, are you following?," her Aunt asked, giving another kick for good measure.

'Yes," Mia hung onto every word like a little girl being told a bedtime story of knights saving princesses.

"Well our world is one of these cryptic worlds, it's hidden from humans an-" .

"Wait..so we aren't humans?," Mia interrupted.

"Zip it! I'm getting to it!," her Aunt shouted.
"We - this includes me, you, Crystal,Ash,Vi, Bri and the handful of people the Sangfwads invited on parties- are from The Elemental World hence we are all Elementals, don't you dare ask me what elemental means now," her Aunt picked up a soft, chocolate brownie and bit into it, a gooey stream of viscous chocolate spilled onto her painted lips.

"Element means powers and Elementals must be the ones possessing the powers like Violet and Breeze," Mia strained her memory.

"Exaftly," she swallowed the brownie in her mouth and licked her lips," So me and the Sangfwads -dammit what a long and stupid name- as well as the few elementals you saw in parties migrated from the Elemental world to Earth since it was getting really dangerous to live there, that's why the Sangfwads forbade you from telling or talking to anyone except immediate relatives and family members about the powers and elements since nobody on Earth knows about this, about us, that we exist". She took a sip from her tea.