Chapter 7

As the night wears on, the pub becomes increasingly crowded, the sounds of laughter and music filling the air. Oliver seems to thrive in the bustling atmosphere, effortlessly navigating the crowd and striking up conversations with ease. He has introduced us to every single person he knows. And he knows many. I'm almost a little dizzy from all the names and new faces.

Oliver, as I now understand, is a real party animal. He seems to tolerate copious amounts of alcohol and it's a wonder he's still on his feet. Despite looking a little shaky, he is still just as happy and bursting with energy. I watch him from across the table, marvelling at his energy and charisma. Despite the numerous drinks he's had, he remains composed and in control, his laughter ringing out above the din of the pub. It's clear that he's a seasoned socialite, comfortable in any setting and with anyone he meets. It's clear that he's well-liked and respected by those around him, and I can't help but admire his easy charm and friendly demeanour.

"Is it just me, or does Oliver seem like he was born for this?" I ask amused and lean towards Gwen, who is sitting next to me.

She nods in agreement, or to something completely else. Because to be honest, Gwen seems to be the one of us who seems to handle the alcohol the worst. I've tried to hold back, afraid of what direction my thoughts might take if I drink too much. Which has not been the easiest task. Because throughout the evening, new people have appeared at our table, exchanged a few words with Oliver and us, some have brought a tray of new shots while some just quickly introduced themselves before moving on.

New faces and new names are spinning in my head like a storm out of control. In the end, I find it hard to distinguish them, hard to know who I have already greeted or not. On the other side of the table, Melissa is happily talking to Oliver. I smile when I think about how he really manages to bring her out of her shell.

Suddenly, another nameless face appears with a new tray and starts handing out shot glasses. Could it be my ninth shot? I've lost count. Shortly after, as we each swallow a shot, the front door opens and Nikko confidently strolls in as he owns the place. Just as popular as Oliver, he greets several friends and acquaintances before moving towards our table. Gwen, who by this point is pretty much under the influence of alcohol, swears next to me as we make eye contact with Nikko, who is grinning mischievously at us.

"What a surprise, are you girls here tonight?" Nikko exclaims after walking up to us.

"Surprise, my arse!" Gwen snorts next to me, clearly not believing a word he's saying.

Nikko grabs a nearby chair and slides it over, plopping down next to Gwen with a playful grin.

"Well, well, well, look who we have here," he says, his voice laced with amusement. "Gwen, as friendly as always."

Gwen rolls her eyes, but there's a hint of a smile playing on her lips. "Please, Nikko, don't act like you're surprised to see us. I bet that's the reason you came in the first place, just to torment us with your presence".

Nikko chuckles, leaning in a little closer. "Who, me? Nah, I'm just here for the drinks and good music."

Gwen shoots him a mock glare and slurs as she teases. "And here I was, thinking you came for my charming personality."

Nikko's grin widens. "Well, that's just a bonus."

I watch their banter with amusement, noticing the underlying chemistry between them. Despite Gwen's attempts to play it cool, there's a spark in her eyes whenever she looks at Nikko, and he seems to be enjoying every minute of it. As they continue their playful exchange, I can't help but feel a pang of envy. It's clear that there's something special between them, something I can't quite put my finger on.