Chapter 3

As I stand face to face with the striking stranger, I can't help but be captivated by his presence. He's impossibly handsome, with features that could have been carved by the gods themselves, and a confidence that seems to radiate from every pore. Anyone with two functioning eyes would stop and be mesmerized by him.

We're standing closer than what is socially acceptable for two strangers, our bodies almost touching, yet strangely, it doesn't feel uncomfortable. Instead, there's a magnetic pull between us, a connection that defies explanation. His eyes, a mesmerizing shade of amber, lock onto mine, and for a moment, I'm lost in their depths. It's as if I can see straight into his soul.

A fluttering sensation dances in the pit of my stomach, like a swarm of butterflies taking flight, as I try to make sense of the whirlwind of emotions swirling inside me. In that moment, I can't help but feel like a character in one of those cheesy romantic comedies, where the heroine is swept off her feet by a striking stranger with a smile that could light up the night sky.

Because the man in front of me could be taken straight out of a book or movie. Not even in my wildest imagination could I have imagined someone so captivating. As I gaze up at him, I realize that he is handsome, very much so, and he has an air of confidence and authority about him. I don't think anyone could ignore him. But unlike in the movies, this feels real, tangible, and oh-so-tempting.

The man's eyes don't leave mine for a second and I stand speechless, as if frozen to the ground, before him. He gives me a slight smile before his gaze moves slowly over my face and boldly down my body. His wandering eyes seems to take in every millimetre of me and I suddenly become very self-conscious. I am reminded of the stains on my apron and my dishevelled hair after a full day's work. Unconsciously, I let my gaze wander, as shamelessly as his, over his body. He wears a black t-shirt that hugs and highlights every muscle in his upper body. And despite my 175 cm, it feels like his muscular body towers over me.

I swallow hard, my gaze meeting his once more. I'm all too aware of the spell he seems to cast over me as he flashes a dazzling smile. Suddenly snapped out of my trance, I find myself hyper-aware of the proximity between us. Instinctively, I take a step back, eyeing the stranger before me with caution. Despite the lack of words exchanged, there's an undeniable tension lingering in the air, one that should make our encounter feel awkward, yet somehow doesn't.

"Kian," he introduces himself and as he extends his hand in greeting, I take note of an old scar tracing along his forearm and towards the top of his hand.

"Okay," I respond, taken aback by suddenly hearing his voice.

"Okay?" he echoes, a hint of amusement dancing in his eyes.

My mind races as I try to make sense of the whirlwind of emotions swirling inside me. It's like being caught in the eye of a storm, where everything is simultaneously chaotic and calm. I'm shocked by the intensity of my feelings, how they seem to defy logic yet feel so undeniably natural. Never before have I felt this drawn to someone, as if every fibre of my being is pulled toward him. It's unnerving yet exhilarating, like stepping into uncharted territory with no map to guide me.

Instead of reciprocating his greeting, I find myself blurting out an apology, stumbling over my words as I mention the approaching closure of the café. His reaction is a curious mix of surprise and amusement. As he is about to say something, I hurry away and leave him standing by himself. As I approach the kitchen, I hear the teasing laughter of his friends and I stop in the middle of the door to glance at him one last time.

The brown-eyed guy, whose name I now know is Kian, has sat down at the table again and both he and his friends are looking in my direction. Neither of them shows the slightest interest in getting up and leave. Instead, I see him lean back comfortably in his chair as he gives me a confident smile. As I turn away, my heart still racing, I can't shake the feeling of his gaze lingering on me, like a silent echo in the back of my mind.

As I retreat into the kitchen, I can't shake the lingering effects of the encounter outside. Anna's keen eyes don't miss a beat as she looks up, a knowing smile playing at the corners of her lips.